Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hammer Drill for XPS

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 09 at 11:28

Is this sucker good enough to drill a 150 or so holes to put xps up? I can borrow one that is likely of better quality but I never used one and would be afraid I'd brake it.

If not maybe I should rent one?...hate to buy an expensive one because I'd likely never use it again.

I have no idea what specs to look for anyway....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45338

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hammer Drill for XPS

I have this one, which has been great.
I think I spent 70 bucks but I've seen it lower.
If I had to do it over again, I think I'd buy some bits from HF too.

I had a Black and Decker cheapo and it broke after the second hole. I took it as an omen and got a more substantial one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97743

o

now I question whether the one I listed is even a hammer drill---it looks so different...

o

andrelaplume2

Surely, you're joking. Even for people who aren't big DIYers, a good drill comes in handy for life.

I'm sticking with commercial Bosch and Makita tools. Not only do they last, the job goes faster and smoother.

o

I put in about 300 tap cons with the $70 HF unit above. It goes through the concrete like butter. I never thought it would be that easy. If you look at it another way, you could buy a more capable tool from a more consumer oriented outfit like HF and maybe it would have more of a reserve margin so that it would have useful life after your project is completed.

o

Here's the same model I have--and paid about $150 for retail six years ago.

o

My $90 Rigid hasn't let me down.
HF products, tho, aren't renown for their dependability.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here