Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdarrigo

laminate/engineered hardwood vs carpet??

kdarrigo
17 years ago

Hi, i posted awhile back about what you did for flooring for your basement. Our basement is just about finished- however we STILL have to put flooring down. We have had a few big get togethers down in our basement and we've noticed what a disaster the floor is after the party is over !!! I am re-thinking the whole carpet thing now. I am leaning towards a lamiante floor or engineered hardwood.

Anyone use lumber liquidators?

Here are some pictures of the basement so far:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZN2bho0bNFN_I

Comments (7)

• chris8796
    17 years ago

If people trashed the carpet, I'd be just as worried about what they would do to wood. Laminate would be cheap and more durable, but I think it would make that room incredibly noisy and less comforting the 98% of the time your not having large gatherings.

I'd probably consider more ways of controlling the original problem, such as, mats, carpet protectors, and area rug for large partys. This would also politely inform your guests you are concerned about the potential for damage.

good luck

• fnmroberts
    17 years ago

kerry331

Personally, I would have concerns about any wood flooring in a basment. Not only for the noise as mentioned by the previous poster but, hot water heaters spring leaks and sump pumps fail. In such an event, your floor will be ruined.

One alternative which can give striking results is stained concrete. The treatment actually reacts with the materials in the concrete and creates the look. Home centers and paint stores can show you examples. Unfortunately, because I had previously sealed our basement floor, that option was no longer viable for me.

We, too host some gatherings. Accordingly, we installed tile for the ease of cleanup with area rugs that, if necessary, can be removed. Photos can be seen from the link at "My Page". Good luck.

• daze71_comcast_net
    17 years ago

hi there
    if you go with lumber liquidators i HIGHLY suggest getting a as many different opinions on products and how to install. We spent $7,000 on bamboo and glue and followed thier instructions/advice on installing. Well one year later we had this strange streaking and discoloration. After months of denial we finally ripped up all 1000 sq feet of wood and glue. The moisture from our slab went through the glue. They (at L.L)told us the glue would act as a moisture barrier-not so much. A VERY EXPENSIVE MISTAKE at our cost. They seem to have alot to choose from at very competitive prices. Just dont use thier advice!!!

• jrdwyer
    17 years ago

The earth underground is 50-55 degrees F for much of the USA. Carpet and pad are very good insulators. This is important if you use the basement in the wintertime. Concrete/tile/stone are very poor insulators and the floor will feel cold. Of course, this is not an issue if you have radiant floor heating. Engineered wood or laminate are somewhere in-between for insulating value but not nearly as good as carpet and pad.

I think replaceable carpet tiles with attached pad would be the ideal basement floor. I have never used this type of product.

I'm not a huge carpet fan, but it works well in our basement with kids. We have a 1/2" nylon pile and standard pad that is soft and easy to clean in a darker color to hide stains. Ours is a bi-level, so we do have regular double hung windows for decent light and the walls are a light color.

Insurance will take care of the backup or water heater flood or sump pump failure if it ever happens. Thankfully, our sewer line has no trees between our house and the main. The water heater is also new. The sump pump is the only real risk. I will be installing a battery backup in the near future as the power does go out here fairly often during big thunderstorms when it rains heavily. I have been home on two occasions when I had to bail the sump pump well, very LUCKY!

• lewisnc100
    17 years ago

Most home owner's insurance will not cover a sewer backup, it's an added coverage over the normal coverage. A good agent will make sure you have it if you have a basement, but you never know.

A sewer backup can hit anyone regardless of trees on your property. We found out the hard way when the sewer main collapsed past our property and backed up into our basement. Big mess but we were lucky that we were covered by insurance.

• Mismeliscious_aol_com
    13 years ago

Yes, you need a ryder or endorsement on your policy to cover sewer, drain, or sump backup for up to a limit of $5k or $10k. Everyone should purchase this. If your basement floods completely or with sewage, whatever floor you have will be ruined unless it is tile or concrete. I am putting wood laminate in my soon to be finished basement for cleaning and allergen purposes. From experience I already know my basement's unfinished portion has a very efficient drain in the utility room in case of a water heater or laundry machine malfunction and will not flood into the finished area. I recommend not using tack strips in the basement if you choose to carpet. This will make it easier to pull back and away from water in the event of a small amount of water, or in the event you change your mind. I pulled moldy tack strips out of my basement floor and it was not a pleasant or easy process.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

Well,funny you should ask -- we just today laid down laminate flooring in our basement (from Costco) in the game room area and next week we are getting carpet laid in the TV area.

As far as Lumber Liquidators -- we have miles of Brazilian Cherry Bellawood flooring in our kitchen from them. It has been almost 7 years and I am totally pleased with the flooring. I have no idea what other lines they sell and what the quality is.

Back to the basement --- our basement was professionally waterproofed and we had a plumber install a back-up sump-pump. Also, we have an insulated, completely level sub-floor. Say what you want about carpet -- I love it. It is soft, it is warm and it is a whole lot easier to pull out the vacuum and clean then to mop.

I chose the laminate for our "eating area" and the area where we eventually will have an air hockey table or shuffleboard table. Engineered is nicer but out of my price range for a basement.

Lastly, as far as water damage -- you could say the same thing about my upstairs. My dishwasher could leak on my Brazilian Cherry floors or my washing machine.

The only flooring I can think of that is flood proof is concrete and tile and that to me spells a giant back-ache.

I'll take my chances.