Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conversion to unvented crawlspace - expectations?

Posted by wianno (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 10:53

After much preparation, I am now about to complete my crawlspace "project".

My 25x18 crawlspace is about 2' high and has a dirt floor over granite. Over the last few years I have been digging out the dirt to create space to work 1 5 gallon pail at a time. I also have been removing lose rock and wood which the PO used to crawl on and not get dirty, but really seemed to just feed the mold.

In order to prevent drafts, I have pushed 2" polyisocyanurate foil faced board between the floor joists. This had a limited effect.

The foundation walls are lose rubble capped with one course of concrete block, then the sill. I have been slowly filling the gaps in the block and stone with spray foam.

I have installed a sump with drain to the outside.

The last step is about to be taken, I am having the CleanSpace Encapsulation System installed.

So, my question is, how effective should I realistically think the Cleanspace System will solve my draft/heating problems?

How much saving should I expect to see in my heating bill? Maketing material states about 10-15%. I would really prefer to just have the house warm up efficiently.

One last question: Should I install a baseboard heater down there? It would be easy to tap one in as the pex heating lines pass right through the space. Or am I better just dehumidifing the space?

I am also considering whether I should remove the foam boards I installed between the joists.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conversion to unvented crawlspace - expectations?

I would be worried about "The foundation walls are lose rubble capped with one course of concrete block, then the sill.

Before you spend another cent consult a structural engineer. That foundation depended on the earth holding it up. You took away one side of the earth, the next big rain the foundation might crumble and the house fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here