Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

away we go ...starting XPS...final questions

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

I think I learned enough here to put up my 1.5" thick slotted XPS in a portion of my basement. In one spot drywall will be affixed directely to this XPS. In another I will frame directly in front of it to allow for wiring and additional kraft backed insulation. Final questions...

I am using the slotted pink xps stuff from HD. It allows a 3" fur strip every 2 feet to hold it to the wall. Does this sound correct:

Use an adhesive for foamboard and apply a few dots here and there to tack the board in place while I affix the fur strips.

Place 3 Tapcon screws equally spaced thru the 3" fir strip and XPS and 1.25" into the concrete. Keep strip and inch off the ground.

Question: Do I need to drill the hole 1/2 deeper than the screw will penetrate?

Question: Since the fur strips sit flush with the slotted XPS I'd assume it best to use flush screws OR may I use hex screws which I am thinking will go easier? Of course if I use hex in the areas I wish to affix drywall directly to the xps, they would need to be countersunk the depth of the hex head. Is this a problem or will weaken things?

Note I was loaned an awesome hammer drill but will have only a regular drill, cordless screwgun, screwdriver or ratchet to drive the tapcons. I do not know how easy they go...I'd assume the hex's are easier? Whats the best tool for each type of screw?

Thanks!

Comments (3)