Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement with Existing Stud Walls - Insulation Options

Posted by thearrys (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 10:17

Been reading all about the recommendations for basement insulation, and feeling a bit like we need to tear apart our basement and start over! But there has to be another option, and I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me.

We have Dry-lok-ed block walls, and existing stud walls (with 1/2" gap between stud walls and block walls). We're in central Illinois, so even if we could get 1/2" foam insulation in between the stud walls and the block that's not really enough thickness in our climate.

What other safe options are there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement with Existing Stud Walls - Insulation Options

Until aerogel foams are developed for home insulation, there is no way that a 1/2" of common insulation materials will keep a basement wall in your climate free of condensation from warm interior air hitting the wall in winter.

o

Thanks for the input!

So, basically, only non-risky solution is tear out & move/rebuild the stud walls?

Is there a good link for figuring exactly what R value you need for a given climate? Seems 1.5-2" is the 'norm' in climates similar to mine, but not sure if there's a definitive resource on this.

Husband and FIL may kill me for my research. ;)

(Although if it means less work 10 years down the road when we still have a nice mold-free basement, I do believe it's worth it!)

o

The US Department of Energy directs you to this Zip Code specific site.

Dr. Joe Lstiburek of Building Science Corp. promulgates his "10 20 40 60 rule" for any home built north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

In Ontario, the Code minimum is 12.66 (20.04 for electric heating).

o
RE:Added Info

1.5-2" is the 'norm' in climates similar to mine, but not sure if there's a definitive resource on this.

That's on the wall. But the total R Value should be higher. And that can be achieved with lower cost fibrous insulation or EPS (expanded polystyrene) added between the studs.

Another alternative--in cold or mixed climates only--is the use of a MemBrain "smart" vapour retarder with fiber insulation.

Of course, any system composed in part of moisture sensitive materials is
at risk from groundwater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here