Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Infiltrating Dirt Crawl Space

Posted by sequoia_2007 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 9:49

What is the best material to fill vertical cavities in a stem wall footing that were left by forming stakes used to pour the stem wall 25 years ago? I have 5 such openings along a 20 foot section of stem wall that were the conduit for an enormous amount of water that entered from an adjoining townhouse recently. My crawl space is a few inches lower than the adjoining crawl space and the water from the flooded adjacent crawl space just fountained up into our crawl space. These cavities measure 1" x 4" and are anywhere from 12" to 18" deep. I was going to use a product like QUIKRETE - Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement since it is not supposed to shrink and will stop water, but I was wondering if there were any newer products that would do a better job.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Also, in addition to another water infiltration source, I suspect the aforementioned source has been flooding our dirt crawl space for several seasons and may have something to do with the large crack in the adjoining stem wall. What would be a good product to fill this vertical crack?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions

Howard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Infiltrating Dirt Crawl Space

Polyurethane or chemical grout injection should handle cracks. Hydraulic cement may slow the water flow. But as long as your neighbour figures your crawl space is his sump, it's going to be a problem.

That footing looks pretty flaky.

Too bad no one picked up on the water problems when you bought your unit.

o

I will check out the polyurethane kits from Emecole for the vertical crack. For the cavities left by the forming stakes I decided the hydraulic cement would not meet my requirements because I need a product that will flow and not set up so quickly. I called Quikrete and they think their Sand/Topping Mix combined with their Concrete Acrylic Fortifier is my best choice.

Regarding the footing, I believe they are trench footings and what you see on the surface is just over pour. If I dug down a little lower I would probably find the footing, but it would not look very pretty.

We have very heavy rains starting tomorrow that will last 5 days and I finally got the attention of the HOA management company and they installed a berm with leaders to carry the storm water away from the foundations. I also had them fix the downspout that was the main source of the storm water that infiltrated 4 properties. Hopefully we can get through this storm without flooding again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Howard

o

If water is infiltrating into your crawl space, you are going to want to install a drainage system and vapor barrier. Call your local crawlspace company, or visit http://www.unitedcrawl.com/ for more information!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unitedcrawl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here