Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does this little area need to 'breath'

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 8:51

I have been insulating my basement with XPS. The other day, at the foot of my stairs, while on a ladder I felt a bad draft coming from the area directly above the stairway landing. I pulled back the fg insulation and saw this little cubby area. I realized this was the area directly below the entry closet above. I then reach over and down and felt concrete and realized this must be part of the bump out in my garage where the closet is. This cubby was the space under the closet but over the concrete garage floorI think! Well I xpsd the area in the basement off and the draft is gone. Now I am wondering if that was a good idea. Does this area need to breath? Will moisture come up thru the concrete and have no where to goie cause mold. Might the area nw just breath into the garage? Should I maybe drill a few pilot holes in the drywall in the garage to let it breath? Or is it ok just leaving it xpsd off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does this little area need to 'breath'

The perm rate of XPS is approximately 1.1, so it does not trap moisture. Instead, moisture passes through very slowly. Leave the XPS in place.

o

I just was not sure if it left enough go thru. So, since it lets the moisture go thru...am I in trouble where I affixed my drywall directly to the slotted 1.5" XPS...with no vapour barrier between the 2? I do not recall seeing one necesary on site instructions for installed the XPS?

o

No vapour barrier is necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here