Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

some shelves for a closet and some ????

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

I just enclosed a 34" deep by about 7 foot closet in my basement. The side walls are drywalled and I will paint them white to make it a little brighter and easier to see. This will be a storage area for plastic bins, some small, some large. I want to put up shelves. I am thinking 4, perhaps 5. They will likely be in fixed positions. I will wrap 2x4s around the sides and back at the height I want the shelves and maybe even screw the shelves down. I am trying to decide the best way to prop up the front of the shelves so they do not droop. A single stud vertically in the center perhaps front tied into the header and floorÂ.? I could then cut pieces of 2x4 at the appropriate shelf height for the center of the 7Â shelf to rest onÂeven screw it down. Other ideas? Am I better off using 2 shelfs (3 foot and 4 foot lengths instead of a continuous run. Also, how deep should I make the shelves? I have 34" from the back to front. Economically I could go with 24" shelves but then I am wasting almost 7 square feet of valuable space per shelf. Still putting in a 34" shelf might make it too deep to reach stuff as you go up. Maybe a deep shelf or two at the bottom (30-32") and two (24-28") shelf at the top. Thoughts?

Comments (7)