Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xand83

Basement Brick a Mess (pics)

xand83
13 years ago

Hello! So, we purchased a basement condo (in DC) about 8 months ago and have been fixing it up slowly. The building was originally a mansion built in 1938 and converted into 4 condos in 1995. Through the summer it was rather cool (nice!) but the humidity was unbearable. Leaving on the dehumidifier 24-7 completely solved this problem, however, the electric bill doubled.

We asked a reputable local company about re-pointing the brick in the living room as it looks pretty rough. Since we have the basement unit, the brick was likely never supposed to be uncovered. The brick mason said she could repoint (for $2k-$3k), but the face of the bricks is still going to look like it does now. Since the mortar is falling out in places and it is extremely drafty (we find out in the winter!), this seems like a reasonable project to tackle next.

My question: Is a basic repointing (and sealing?) going to fix the issue of this wall being so cold? We haven't been able to really enjoy the living room this winter due to a combination of our weak 15yr old heat pump and these bricks. We have to have one of those small oil filled radiators on (and turned all the way up) in order to be comfortable in the living room. One month of that and the electric bill *tripled* (not sustainable).

Or, are we not going to be warm until we seal that sucker up and insulate/drywall over it?

Comments (10)

• worthy
    13 years ago

are we not going to be warm until we seal that sucker up and insulate/drywall over

Rhetorical question, I take it.

Just be sure to insulate properly. Which boils down to a choice of: closed cell spray foam (ccspf), extruded polystyrene (XPS), expanded polystyrene (EPS), polyisocyanurate. Fibrous insulation can be added in addition to the warm side. No vapour barrier. See details in the link. Don't take the advice of the clerks at the big box store or local home improvement/diy center.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp on basements

• xand83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks worthy. We're not talking to the big box stores for this job, and we don't want to DIY. If we go the spray foam route with drywall, we would lose some of the character of the unit. But maybe being warm is more important :D

Would it still be necessary to re-point all that brick if we are going to just cover it up? The brick stays dry, but the area at the bottom of that nook looks like it was damp at one point (no visible water issues in 8mo, though). Is it a big deal to cover it up? Also, what kind of contractor/expert would have the know-how to do the job properly? Thanks for your help!

• andrelaplume2
    13 years ago

if you got a pellet stove or something in there that might help...don't bricks retain heat.....assuming you are trying to keep the bricks.

• xand83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, a pellet stove is out b/c we don't want to clutter up the small space with another fixed structure and the costs to add a chimney would likely be prohibitive. We talked to our realtor today and he said one of the selling points of the unit is really the brick wall as it has character.

We might just spend the money to re-point it and bundle up. It will look better than drywall and we'll need all the help we can get when going to sell someday!

• kterlep
    13 years ago

If you want to keep the character of the masonry and still want insulation, there are other finishes that are available to you. Consider a rough plaster over drywall or a really COOL stone or brick veneer. I'm not talking about the plastic brick veneer my parents had as their backsplash in the 70s, or the skinny bricks that were available then. There are some really really neat things that are available that are very attractive.

I know you have brick now, but the stone veneer might be something to consider also (maybe since it's a condo it won't be visually jarring that you've changed the medium, and it may even look like it's a stone "foundation"...)...just a thought. I think the stone looks more real.

In the cost of a few winters' lost heat, you could pay for the project.

• xand83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for those ideas kterlep. We moved forward with a bid for the re-pointing and they actually started about an hour ago. I'll be sure to post back with the results in a few days. Hopefully this will, at least, eliminate the breezes we get sitting on the couch!

• xand83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As an update, the re-pointing is finished and everything is sealed. It is certainly less drafty! I think, overall, the appearance boost is great. Still working on putting the house back together. That dust is something awful!

• Ash Rah
    7 years ago

Hi, the repointed bricks look awesome. Would you mind sharing who you used for the brick repointing work? I am about to finish my dc rowhouse basement, and am considering getting the brick walls repointed, instead of putting in drywall, and am in the process of getting quotes.

• xand83
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Ash Rah! We used Renaissance Development. We have used them a couple times and have always been very happy with their work. Good luck!