Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yferlatte

Foundation cracks

yferlatte
15 years ago

I have a crack in my block wall foundation and water is coming in my basement. A contractor checked it out and said that he would fix the problem by doing the following: Dig and brush the wall on day 1. Apply tar on second day when wall is dry. Once the tar is dry, apply a "Blue Skin" type membrane. He will then fill the hole with material with more of a sandlike composition. Does this sound like a good solution? Should the crack be filled first? If it makes any difference, this is in Ontario Canada.

Thanks for any replies...Yvan

Comments (5)

• worthy
    15 years ago

If he can find the crack, he should patch it directly. Then, since you've gone to the biggest expense--excavating the wall--it makes sense to take further measures.

Tar (actually asphalt cutback of some sort) is merely dampproofing and is not used before any type of "blue skin" that I know of. Possibly he was referring to the Primer that is used before applying Blue Skin membrane. Where there is a special concern about water, some builders will also add a Delta style membrane after the Blue Skin.

Spray on elastomeric waterproofing is claimed to cover cracks up to 1/16"Photo: Heather Joy Investments Ltd.

Beside the membrane style "blue", there are several blue spray-on coatings. If your contractor is using any of these, I would add a Delta-style membrane as well, as the spray has a limited ability to creep to cover any new settlement cracks that may develop.

Backfilling with granular material is very desirable, as it allows groundwater to filter quickly down to the weepers. That your contractor understands that shows to me that he likely knows what he's doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Code Blue

• worthy
    15 years ago

See the link to Delta in my previous post.

My engineer's advice on granular backfill is "whatever's the cheapest". In the Toronto area, this could be sand, recycled material or Granular "B" a mix of sand and small stones.

I'd keep the roofing tar on the roof and fill cracks with material designed for foundations.

plumberforhire
    I'm sure you meant well. But the Forum instructions include this directive:
    "* No advertising is allowed in any of the forums."

Posters can easilly contact you through the members page if you set it up to do so.

• worthy
    15 years ago

3/4 stone to backfill

I was specifically warned against using this by Egberts Engineering, Toronto, whom I consult with. The 3/4 stone drains, but by the same token, it allows cold air next to the foundation; it's as if the foundation wall is not below grade. In cold climates, this can lead to frost heave and foundation failure.

• yferlatte
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will confirm this later, but it seems that my contractor will be using a peal and stick membrane that goes by the brand name Resisto

• worthy
    15 years ago

Here's the manufacturer's application video.

Note that under "hints" at Resisto's site, it says the ideal application temperature is between 10Ëto 25Ë C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resisto

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths