Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vakitchen_gw

basement flooring

vakitchen
13 years ago

We are in the process of trying to finish our basement floors and need some help with making a decision.

The house now has tile in the great room with cracks that are from the settling. When we purchased the house the three bedrooms had carpet, which we had removed and the 4th bedroom flooring was painted.

We are removing the walls from one of the bedrooms to expand the great room, so now the tile will stop and the concrete floor will join that room and now we have to make a decision. We are trying to save as much money as possible and would like some feedback on the best option for the basement.

Most of the concrete floors are cracked and we have repaired all the cracks except under the tile in the great room. I know we will either have to remove the cracked tiles and repair the crack and then replace the tile. Trying to match the existing tile will be next to impossible.

My first choice would be to remove all of the existing tile, repair the crack and install wood flooring, engineered or bamboo. One contractor said we could just put the new wood flooring on top of the tile, I don't think that sounds like a good idea! Has anyone put engineered flooring or bamboo on top of tile in a basement?

My husband wants to just install carpet in the entire basement area for now and then later (5-10 years) do the wood flooring.

Acid washing or staining the concrete would be the cheapest alternative for now, but can I do that with the concrete having cracks that were repaired?

The one room that has the painted floors look like a battleship and it is difficult to mop the flooring because the concrete is not smooth. In fact all the rooms with the concrete are not smooth!

Ideas and help please!

Comments (4)