Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
root cellar

Posted by BABU55 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 1:56

OUR HOUSE IS BUILT ON CLAY. THE ROOT CELLAR WAS AN ADD ON TO THIS OLD LOG HOUSE. FOR US THE ROOT CELLAR IS A PROBLEM. WE HAVE NEVER USED IT. IT IS 12 FEET X 9FEET AND 8 FOOT HIGH. THE WALLS OF THE ROOT CELLAR ARE BLYWOOD ON THE OUTSIDE AND THE INCSIDE SUPPOTED BY 4X4 IN BETWEEN. IT HAS A CONCRETE FLOOR AND A SUMP PUMP THAT GETS RID OF THE WATER FROM THE GROUND. WE WANT TO GET RID OF THIS AND FILL IT HIGH ENOUGH SO THAT WATER WILL NO LONGER BE A PROBLEM. WE WERE TOLD THAT WE SHOULD PLASTER THE BOTTOM WITH PURE CLAY FOR ABOUT 2 FEET THAT TENDS TO FILL UP WITH WATER. AND THEN TO POUR 3/4 INC GRAVEL LEAVING ABOUT A METER AT THE TOP TO STORE ITEMS IF WE NEED TO. WE WOULDN�T MIND A SMALL STARAGE PLACE. FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WE HAVE A TRAP DOOR THAT WE OPEN FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE TO GET TO THE ROOTCELLEAR.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD IDEA TO FILL THE ROOT CELLAR AS SUGGESTED BY FRIENDS OR WILL IT DESTROY THE STUCRCURE OF THE HOUSE. PLEASE HELP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: root cellar

this is one time one time i'd probably see an expert, rather depending on friend's advice...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here