Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propper way to frame this

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 1:30

Well...its been a long haul but I am framing out the final 3 walls of the back portion of my basement...sort of the back room. On the back wall is what I believe to be a flue for a possible chiminey. Its right below the upstairs fireplace. Note the upstairs fireplace was a typical 80's log burning kind...the prior owner used it. We put in a gas log set for decoration.

Also on this wall is a thick metal door 9"x9"(?) that leads to a cubby area below the firepace. I think its a cleanout? Maybe you sweep you ash above and it comes into here. I am not sure. I won't use it.

What is the code compliant way to handle this. I am putting 4X8X1 foam up, taping it, caulking it then framing and inserting fiberglass insulation...but what about in front of this door and other opening (flue?). Should loose fit the foam and fg and put a little door over each? Cover it? what is appropriate and safe..

See pics?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z163/AndreLaplume/th_p1_zps45fbd978.jpg?t=1358663113.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propper way to frame this

You could frame around the cleanout and put in an insulated door. If you cover it, make the fireplace cleanout topside inoperative; and also be sure the cleanout is not for a furnace or hot water tank connected to the same chimney. If the round hole is not hot, I would use pieces of foam and spray foam and cover over it.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 13:34

o

Thanks! Just want to be code compliant. There is no furnace or H2O tank. I'll probably leave door accessible...future owners may want to revert the fireplace back. Is there a speial door for this or just use one of those access panel things the HD sells....

So there is no need to leave the little hole accessible I guess...not really sure of its purpose..pellet stove maybe....

o

Is there an ash pit in the floor of the firebox?

Often just aq square of steel about 8 x 10 inches that can be lifted up by the forward edge to reveal a place to sweep ashes.
Since the pit is masonry even a few hot ashes are not all that much of a problem.

They used to be rather common, and require access below to empty out the ashes out.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 14:55

o

not sure...we have a gas log set in there and I don't want to move..I would think so though...I guess I'll put one of those 9 x 9 access panels there. I think I am going to cover the other hole though..not sure it really servers a pupose...if we got a pellet stove or something, it's location is not ideal for that...not sure what other purpose that hole would serve....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here