Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about plumbing for basement sink

Posted by jbats (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 1:18

We are starting our basement and for one area we want to add a bar. We really would like to have a sink but the person doing most of the work says we would have to have a drain in the concrete for this to work. I was under the impression that we would just work off the plumbing from the kitchen above. Can someone tell me which is correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about plumbing for basement sink

Thnik of gravity. Water only goes down. Unless your kitchen waste falls through piping which you can intercept at a point LOWER than the one you are planning for the basement, your friend is correct.

Do you have an ejector pump in your basement? If so, you might be able to run piping around the perimeter to meet up with it. That would save cutting your concrete floor. Ours runs on the peremiter walls. A diagram of our basement is posted at "My Page". Though it does not specifically indicate plumbing, I believe you can get the idea. Only need to drop 1/8" per foot of run, so you can carry the waste a long distance.

o
RE: Question about plumbing for basement sink

Code requires all pipes 3" or less in diameter to be run with a 1/4" per foot pitch.

Under some circumstances a 3" line may be run with a 1/8" per foot pitch with the expressed written consent of the inspecting authority.

Ref: International Residential Code 3005.3 & Uniform Plumbing Code 708.0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here