Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Looking for apartment to rent sites

marie26
16 years ago

I'm looking for an apartment/condo/townhome/house to rent in the Vancouver, BC area that accepts pets. I've done searches on the internet and have found hardly any rentals that allow animals. Are there sites that are geared toward pet owners?

Comments (9)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Have you actually called the new development places listed in the (wknd?) papers with big ads, and asked them straight out? What kind of pets do you have - pitbulls/rotts or one kitty? Noisy parrot vs hamster? It may make a difference!

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've searched as many of the internet sites that feature apartments to rent as I could find. I also searched management companies and the newspaper. I found 3 places that said pets were ok but they didn't have any available units. I did come upon one recent site with about 15 people who were also looking for a place in the area that accepted pets.

I have an 8 lb. maltese and and an 8 lb. cat. This is becoming a major problem since they are family.

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention that we are doing this from a distance since we are relocating to this area.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

My first thought is to use the apartment rental guides on the internet as they always state whether pets are welcome in their format, but you said you've tired that. You may have to hire a broker to hunt for you.

Have you considered staying in an extended stay hotel? They are know for being pet friendly. You may have to store some of your belongings as these places come completely furnished but you've probably pared down your belongings for the move anyway. I guess it would be a trade-off - live with your pets but without your own furniture, or put your pets up at a pet hotel and live with your own furniture. If your stay in Vancouver is going to be short or you are just renting until you find a house to buy, an extended stay hotel is a good option.

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This will be a permanent move and we are not looking to buy a home in the next few years so we'll need an unfurnished apartment.

It's too bad that only homeowners can have pets with no worries. I understand that landlords have probably had bad experiences with pet owners but I wish there were pet friendly apartments in the way that some hotels have certain floors that allow pets.

• lucy
    16 years ago

I wonder if local veterinarians might have any hot tips?

• jennmonkey
    16 years ago

craigslist is the best place to look, IMO. I've found many apartments and rental homes on there.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

This might be helpful.

Vancouver Dog Owners Association
    This is a list of Vancouver apartments/condos, hotels and bed & breakfasts that allow dogs.

vandog.ca/lodging.htm

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to mention that we found a house to rent through Craig's List.

There was another place that was advertised in the paper that I really liked but when I went the day after the ad was in the paper to see it, the landlord raised the rent $300.00 and said that I saw an "old" ad.

Sponsored