Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steam heater confusion

Posted by IndyNewbie (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 16, 10 at 23:06

Hi y'all! I am new to the Indianapolis area, have zero experience with steam radiators and am having some trouble with the one in my apartment.

There's a little silver bullet-looking gadget on the side. I don't know the name for it but I call it a vent valve. Whenever it is attached, the radiator stops working. Whenever I take it off, the radiator heats up like a top but then I have steam chugging into my room. If I put the valve back on after the radiator's heated up, everything cools off again.

This is the second brand new vent valve my landlord has put on it with the same results.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steam heater confusion

Are there any numbers or gauge markings on the valve? The radiator should work with the valve on. You should be able to adjust the speed at which the radiator heats up by adjusting the valve. This comes in handy when the radiator is in the same room as the thermostat, say. You can set it so that the radiator heats up slowly, thereby letting the steam get to all the rooms before the thermostat shuts the heat off for a while.

If the only way the radiator will work is with the valve completely off the radiator, I think there's something wrong with the heating system somewhere. Radiator systems need to be balanced properly to heat the house/apartment equally. It might be time for the landlord to call in a heating repair person.

But really, only the landlord can fix this problem. If you are out of your apartment during the day, you can't trust your current "system." So call the landlord again and get him/her to explain how the valve works, and if that doesn't work, ask them to get the radiator fixed so that you don't have to keep putting the valve on and taking it off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here