Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smoke from downstairs

Posted by everlastb (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 22:57

I moved into a house that was divided into upper and lower units. The lower unit was vacant when I first moved in but last week a married couple moved in below who are heavy smokers. The smoke smells have been invading my unit recently and its making me crazy. The house has one furnace that heats the lower unit but there are ducts running to the upstairs portion. I'm assuming they just blocked them off somehow since there was no way to meter the usage and just installed electric baseboard heaters upstairs. I'm looking for any advice on how to eliminate or minimize the smell as much as possible. I'm really sensitive to smells and masking them with febreeze and other perfumed solutions are just as bad in my opinion. I've looked into air ionizers but it seems the reviews are quite mixed. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoke from downstairs

I'd start with the landlord. Ask him/her to try and correct the problem. It's possible that they will just tell you there is nothing they can do, but it is at least worth trying before you spend your time and money and energy on this.

Then, if the landlord won't do anything, look to see if you can find the air ducts and block them off. If they are already blocked, try caulking around the edges, maybe with an expanding caulk. Also, try caulking around your plumbing--you want to seal off any place where air from their unit could be entering your unit.

o

Yea, me too. Complaint it to the landlords. They will take care of this.I am sure they will help you out.

In worst case try filters to abstain any harmful effects.

o

The landlords wont help if they are smokers like mine is, my biggest smell comes from down stairs into my food pantry, so what I did was put a small bowl of white vinegar in the pantry and it really has cut down on the stench of smoke. I also put a towel down so that the stench doesnt come out from under the door, HOPE that helps a little. Good Luck !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here