Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They gave me the wrong view

Posted by gooseman271 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 6, 06 at 22:41

I requested an apartment that had a view of the woods, and that is what the leasing consultant told me I would be getting. I signed my lease today and went to go check out my place only to find out that it was a view of the parking lot, the one thing I did not want. However, I didn't mind it that much. QUESTION: Do you think I can get them to give me some kind of compensation for misleading me? Even after I signed the lease? Like a price cut on the rent? Or free covered parking? Or will they just tell me I should of looked at the place before I signed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They gave me the wrong view

If you had a lease that specified the view and they could not give it to you, you would have a reason for cause. But you already signed the lease. It is will be very difficult (if not impossible) to attempt to get anything out of this situation. I expect the last sentence of your message will prevail here.

o

I'd go back and ask for the other view. They can still say "no", but at least you tried.

I got an apartment one time that was really dark. The apartment I had previously been shown was really light. I went back and explained that I really wanted an apartment with more sunlight. They let me switch. I think I had to wait a few extra days. It all worked out.

o

Never rent before seeing what the place looks like.

Someone's word is as good as the piece of paper it is written on. Unless you had a witness or the request is specifically written in the lease, you might have to stay put. Was anyone else around when you spoke to the leasing consultant? When I lived in apt's. I always brought a buddy to look too, so if there were anything wrong, I had a witness. If there is a unit available that overlooks the woods, act now before they rent it. You can always have a friend call up pretending to look. This will tell you if the leasing consultant is being honest.

o

Hey Gooseman--what happened? Did you ask them about changing? Please let us all know.

o

So apparently the site map had the apartment pointing in the wrong direction. Out of all the apartments it was the only one with the error. They have a 30 day satisfaction period and my situation was applicable. They were nice enough to switch me to another apartment which lucky for me has a lower price. It is taking them a few days to switch me though. They will credit what I already paid and I will sign a new lease this weekend. Seems like it's going to work out though. They also told me that they ordered new maps to be made.

o

Awesome!! I have no idea if you are a student or not, but here is a link with a checklist of things to look for just to make sure things work out down the road and that you will not have any problems getting your deposit back.
www.uottawa.ca/students/housing/OCH/cklist.html

Good luck with your new place!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here