Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lasershow_gw

Called the police the other night

lasershow
15 years ago

Got home from family Christmas Eve celebration at 11:30 PM. I could hear the noise from the apartment underneath me as soon as I got out of my car. They had the windows open and a houseful. Came upstairs and for 2.5 hours I listened to yelling, screaming, singing, laughing, and kids jumping, running and pounding. If it wasn't for the kids running, I could have turned on my white noise machine and gone to sleep but not when the floor shakes. I was afraid to go down there and knock on the door (which I have done before). I finally called the police at 1 AM and reported a loud party and that I was unable to sleep. The officer took the information, I thanked him, and I don't know if the police came but it suddenly got very quiet about a half hour later. I got to sleep after 2 AM. I left a message yesterday for the property manager informing him of this whole scene and that I was afraid to go down there. Of course, have not heard back.

I live in a one bedroom and the apt. underneath me is the same size. This couple never goes out and their place seems to be the gathering place for all their friends and their kids. It is just awful. They have a little girl who frequently comes to visit them on the weekends and they allow her to run all over the place. One Saturday morning at 10 AM I had to go downstairs and knock on their door, because it sounded like she was jumping off the furniture. BAM! BAM! BAM! They do not speak much English, but I got my point across.

I've tried to handle this on my own, and calling the police was not what I wanted to do because I fear retaliation, but I had no choice. I just want to get out of here, but I can't afford to move right now.

Comments (28)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi, you know I'm usually pretty tough about people being inconsiderate and e.g. fighting into the early morning during weekdays, but it's Christmas for crying out loud, and the girl is likely a one day a week or month custody case. Can't you be a little more understanding when you don't have to work the next day? Is there a reason you're so afraid of retaliation - do the people strike you as the type to do that in a serious way, or is it just that they're 'foreign'? And "their place seems to be the gathering place for all their friends and their kids. It is just awful" - Huh? Is there something wrong with having friends and family over (even if they get a little carried away volume wise on occasion and need reminding to cool it? You could have gone down there at midnight and asked them to just keep it a bit quieter as you needed to sleep - they probably would have been fine with that, but calling the cops on them right off the bat is not very neighbourly. People aren't always aware of how rowdy they're getting when they're having fun, especially if they're maybe not used to apt. living (maybe they just got foreclosed out of a house recently?). Try making friends instead of enemies.

• lasershow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Lucy, excessive noise at 1 AM -- regardless of whether or not it's a holiday or the child is on a "one day a week or month custody case" -- which prevents a tenant from sleeping is not acceptable. I don't know where you live, but this building is quiet for the most part (at least it was until they moved in). No, I am not afraid of retaliation because they are "foreign." They were loud, they were most likely drinking, I live alone. Enough said. I should not have to keep going down there and asking them to keep it quiet. Maybe YOU are okay with that, but I am not.

When you live in a multiple dwelling unit, you need to remember that there ARE OTHERS WHO LIVE AROUND YOU. The world doesn't revolve around you and your company. The late hour is what prompted the call to the police. Noise at 10 PM, yeah that's expected. Noise at 1 AM? Not where I come from.

• GammyT
    15 years ago

Complaining at 1am I can understand, but I am sure they would have understood if you asked them to quiet down instead of calling the police.

When you complained at 10am on a Saturday morning because the child UNDER YOU (not above you) was jumping, was wrong of you though.

• lasershow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps you did not read my post where I said I was afraid to go down there. I am alone, there was a houseful of people, they were loud, and most likely drinking. It's 1 AM. I am supposed to go knocking on their door, all alone, at that hour and facing those circumstances? I don't think so. I do not have their phone number so calling was not an option, either. And we do not have a concierge or doorman in this complex who I could call for assistance.

As far as the child jumping underneath me: so you think this was wrong to complain, eh? When your entire apartment is shaking? It wasn't one jump, it was repeating pounding, from someone who was jumping off the furniture. It is okay with you to teach children not to be mindful of their surroundings? I lived in multi-unit dwellings all my life and my parents and relatives always admonished me to be mindful of the neighbors. I guess that has gone by the wayside because after all, "Kids Will Be Kids" and they can do whatever they like.

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

I'm surprised no one has said you were just jealous because you weren't invited to the party... LOL

Lasershow, I don't blame you for calling the police. Typically, people who have kids think it's their right to disturb other people and that single people like us should just "understand". About a year ago, I had a family that also didn't speak much English that had a 3 year old daughter living above me. She would ride a tricycle across the floor at all hours of the night and day. I had to start turning my TV on as loud as it would go so I could hear it. I bought ear plugs, and turned 3 fans on (for white noise) just to sleep... but sometimes the building would shake... I thought I was in a motel room on a coin operated vibrating bed sometimes!

Thank heavens a nice single guy moved in above me. We've talked in the laundry room a few times and I thanked him for being such a quiet neighbor. A couple months ago I did something very bold (I'm shy usually)... I put my phone number in a note that I taped to his door and said if he ever has an emergency or if I make a noise that disturbs him to please let me know. He called me and said the same thing, so that's great. I dread the day he moves out and I get less respectful neighbors.

I feel for you, and I am proud of you for standing up for yourself and not feeling obligated to be "understanding". There is no reason to put up with rude neighbors. They should be more considerate in the first place so situations like that don't occur!

About it being Christmas... not everyone celebrates Christmas, and some people DO have to work the next day. I worked on Christmas and the next day and the last thing I want to do when I get home to my sanctuary to rest and relax is listen to a party going on at all hours of the night.

• GammyT
    15 years ago

LOL, I read your post. I also said that at 1am, I understood. I too was alone, but I said Hi to my neighbors. My neighbors got to know me as a nice person and looked out for me.

Kids, Trust me, I know quiet. I was raised with parents who worked shifts. My older brothers raised me and taught me to walk on my toes and that an indoor voice was a whisper. My kids, They know quiet and walking quiet. Not only because of how I was raised but because their Dad worked swing shift.

Where you are really wrong is you complained at 10am on a Saturday morning about a child who lives UNDER YOU jumping around. If they lived above you, that would be different.

If noise bothers you this much you need to move to a place away from people.

• lasershow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The child does not LIVE there. She VISITS. And regardless of the fact that she was UNDER my apartment and not OVER it, the noise was still off the charts. Yes, I could hear and feel it -- just because someone isn't above you doesn't mean that you can't hear anything! It is not "really wrong" to go downstairs at that point at 10 AM on a Saturday and request that they turn it down a notch. I'm not going to retaliate and start making noise of my own to get my point across. What's the cutoff point for YOU, gammyt, at which you will tolerate noise to no end?

• GammyT
    15 years ago

WOW, alrighty then.

Laser I have my point where I cant take noise anymore. A child VISITING under me and jumping at 10am on a Saturday isnt it.

• ihatenoise
    15 years ago

Children are extremely noisy, it doesnt matter if your downstairs or upstairs, its worse if there upstairs. Its still hearable and it usually shakes the place. I wouldnt tolerate it anytime of the day.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Then you obviously have no business trying to live in an apartment. Children need to run and laugh, see what works for them in self expression and find out who they are. That can't happen if we keep trying to shut them up and make them go away. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

• lasershow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some of us have no financial choice but to live in an apartment. It is not unreasonable to expect quiet enjoyment of one's home; in fact, it is legal. Children need to also be taught to be respectful and mindful of others. Unfortunately, there are too many indulgent parents who allow their children to express themselves any way they please.

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

Well said, Lasershow. I quite agree. Maybe the loud people/childeren should live in a house instead of an apartment.

• lasershow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amen, vacuumfreak!! I couldn't agree more!!

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

"Some of us have no financial choice but to live in an apartment."
    the same is true of families...

• ihatenoise
    15 years ago

Well "Lucy" I hope that one day you have to put up with it. You must not live in an apartment, by the comments left here. Children need boundaries plain and simple.

• lucy
    15 years ago

I said that someone who said "Children are extremely noisy", and "I wouldn't tolerate it at any time of day" probably would be happier somewhere other than in an apartment. I've lived in my share and had problems, but I also said (above) that it was Christmas and a little tolerance would probably be appreciated. Do you think I'm advocating nonstop noise all the time? Of course not, I don't like it any more than anyone else, but sometimes a little understanding can go a long way (especially if followed up on by a friendly visit, rather than a harsh, demanding one.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

While children definitely need boundaries, they also cannot be expected to be completely noiseless when they are awake.

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

"While children definitely need boundaries, they also cannot be expected to be completely noiseless when they are awake."

Reminds me of a guy who came to look at one of my rentals that was on the market. Young single dad, trying to pull out of financial struggles, living in an apartment, he couldn't really afford to rent a house at that point but he came to look anyway and we chatted a bit. The more we talked, the worse I felt for him, to the point I would have lowered rent, but he needed at least 30% less and my budget wouldn't take a reduction that substantial. Anyway, he told me he wanted out desperately. Seems he had his daughter every other weekend. The girl was about 8. Occupant below him complained nearly every time she was there. So what did Mgmt tell him? When the child visits, if she's not quietly walking to bathroom or kitchen, she is to sit in her bedroom. No unnecessary walking whatsoever. How bizarre. He said she wasn't jumping or being out-of-line unruly (and based on how stressed he was, I believed him). This poor guy was so shaken up, he worried he was facing eviction if he didn't comply, and believed that's what he had to enforce with his daughter in order for him not to lose the roof over his head. (What's worse, when the complex was new, with all the amenities it was "the" place to live. They became so lax with screening in recent years the criminal element is free to come and go.) So a drug dealer is fine, but not a little girl visiting her dad twice a month. Will admit that one made me livid, and gave him a few tips on where to turn and what to do.

I still wonder about him, and hope it worked out till he could get a place where his child could be a child and not a Stepford kid.

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

Whoever this "Lucy" person is, she seriously needs to stop being so nasty to people who are posting threads on here! It always seems like she's the first one to try starting a fight with someone, and she constantly attacks the OPs on here, like she did on this thread to Lasershow. I've come across countless threads where she has done this! Is there a way to report people like her to this website? I'm new here and not sure how to go about it. I'm sick of her and her "know it all, better than you" attitude.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Grinch, you're doing complaining, no one else, and you're the one imagining all kinds of attacks, etc. Have you seen a doctor lately?

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you from the sound of things! I have very loud, obnoxious drunks that live above me. These people have little kids, also. Every night of the week is party time to them, since they don't work & stay awake all night. Well, last night I had to call the police because the guy came home drunk & decided to beat on his gf & the kids. He was throwing furniture against the walls, pounding & thumping on my ceilings, screaming. This was around midnight,also. Since his gf is too much of a coward to call the cops on him, I called. He got arrested for disorderly conduct & he was cussing at the cops & fighting them. This guy is a total douchebag who lives off of welfare & his stupid, naive gf. He's nothing but a lazy, good for nothing bum. These people belong out in the street with the other animals for as much trouble as they are causing here. They woke up the entire building & didn't even have the decency to apologize to all of us. His gf is so stupid that she ran out the door to bail this fool out of jail! Now this nutjob will probably come after me or vandalize my car because I'm sure he knows I called the cops on him since I've had to before. I plan on moving out of here ASAP, but I need to find a decent place first. I absolutely hate living here with this trash, but until I find another place, I'm stuck. I hope you can resolve your apartment problems as well. Have you found another place yet? That would probably be your best bet because most property owners are in it for the money & they don't give a crap what their tenants do. They would rent to Jack The Ripper if they thought he could make the rent payment every month! The property owner here is like that, also. Good luck to you! :)

• desperaterenter
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone that kids shouldn't be allowed to run amok. I don't say anything about SOME noise from the Elephant Children above; kids don't mind noise themselves and have never paid rent where they couldn't sleep for noise, so they're not as sensitive. That's where the parents come in.

It's not that I don't feel for single parents or families that are forced into apartments because they're struggling. I mean, I figure you should be able to afford a house for your kids if you're going to have them, but whatever. The thing is, though, it is not my responsibility to watch their kids for them. The running around doesn't bother the parents, because they're not under it. Some people have this attitude like it's everyone else's job to take care of their kids. I grew up in a house and wasn't allowed to make much noise indoors, unless I was in the basement rec room.

Kids need to run around, yes, but that running around should be in playgrounds or something. My Elephant Man never leaves the apartment with the children, just sits in his recliner and drones on and on, probably to his gf or on his cell phone, while the kids play Superman on the stairs.

I've also lived above kids, and I agree with lasershow that it's not much better than underneath. Kids throw their weight around so heavily that the walls shake, and I lived over one little girl that used to STOMP up and down their hallway until my pictures rattled. The point is, the kid is too young to know better; I wouldn't have a complaint if the parents actually stopped the noise after a few minutes.

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

And Lucy, I don't appreciate the sarcastic remark. I've already notified this website of your verbal abuse to other users on here. Grow up!

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

Have you found another place yet? That would probably be your best bet because most property owners are in it for the money & they don't give a crap what their tenants do.

You are mistaken, thegrinch17.
    Often times LLs get accused of ignoring a problem when the reality is, in order to extract someone from their home and put them on the street LL better have good solid evidence of lease violation(s) before going in front of a judge during eviction proceedings. That's why there are laws, they protect you as well. Without them, if your neighbor didn't like you (for no particular reason), if they complained enough they could get you kicked out. (By the way, a police report substantiating the problem, with police concurring there is a problem, is golden.)

Just a suggestion, too; we're all adults here. You were only registered 3 days and saying you were sick of lucy and making threats to report her? Yet you have exhibited the very behaviors you accuse lucy of, and made racist comments the first day you registered (very uncool). She has been here a very long time and tried to be helpful to a lot of people. None of us ever agrees 100% on everything. But never in my recollection has a mod been called to step in. And truth be told, your comments alluding to race (which has zero bearing on anything) are violation of the TOS and enough to get you booted off of here. Things do get heated here from time to time, but that's the way of life on the internet. Why not work it out like an adult, rather than play forum police and run to the PTB tattling? It really is unbecoming, especially when the tattler is not so innocent themselves.

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

To Moonshadow:
    For your information, I have been a renter long enough to know that what I said in my prior post is correct! There are some decent landlords out there, but VERY FEW. I'd say at least 90% of them are only in it for the money & they DO NOT care what their tenants do, as long as the rent money is rolling in every month. I know for a fact that they DO NOT do background checks here on people they move in. They move in convicted felons & fugitives who are hiding from the police. The guy who lived above us before with his gf & her kid was hiding out from the cops & he got what he deserved. I have rented from bad landlords before & it seems like the problem gets worse all the time in that area. For every good landlord there is out there, there's at least 20 bad landlords that pop up like weeds. My experiences in dealing with landlords have not been very good so I don't have many positive things to say on that subject. Sorry, but that's how it is! When a person has been burned as many times as I have, then that's what happens. I'm a good tenant, I follow the rules, respect other people, pay my rent on time, etc. I DO NOT deserve to be treated like I have by the property manager here who is only in it for the money & she does not care what these people do while living here! That is why I am trying so hard to get out of this hellhole. And I certainly don't need nasty people like you leaving negative comments about my posts, Moonshadow! I've never done anything to you, so why are you being so rude to me? The comments I've made about Lucy don't concern you, so kindly keep your nose where it belongs! The very first post I ever made on here was attacked by Lucy for no reason & I happened to see some of her other posts where she verbally attacked other users. This is why I said what I did. If she's your buddy, then maybe you should explain the rules to her. Now kindly leave me alone. I have enough to deal with as it is. Thank you!

• nette35
    15 years ago

I have this problem before but luckily where I live we have a noise ordinance that starts at 10:00 pm and any one who violates it will get a ticket maybe you should check if such a thing applys to you it can be alot of help

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

settle down grinch.

As far as LLs go, your pronunciations are based on conclusions drawn from your own personal experience. How can you possibly say 90% of any group is doing something when you've encountered only a small fraction of them in your lifetime? I've had some really rotten apple tenants, horrid people. But if I said 90% of all renters were like that, it would be a huge insult to the good ones out there, those I've dealt with and all those whom I'll never even met.

And I certainly don't need nasty people like you leaving negative comments about my posts, Moonshadow! I've never done anything to you, so why are you being so rude to me?
    Because I hate those ugly words to describe a certain ethnicity that you actually had the audacity to post in another thread. If suggesting you knock it off and take a look in the mirror before you go reporting someone else and hoping they get banned makes me rude and nasty, so be it.

• thegrinch17
    15 years ago

Sure, Moonshadow, try to make yourself look all innocent when you are the one who started this crap with ME. I don't even know you, but you verbally attacked me, just like your good buddy, Lucy did. For all I know, you & Lucy may be the same person with multiple accounts! You seem to act just like her so it's very possible. Anyway, this is the last time I am responding to any of your insults towards me. I've always been told "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!" and that is clearly what I'm doing if I keep on responding to this ridiculous nonsense of yours, Lucy. AHEM, I meant Moonshadow! I DID NOT draw my conclusions because of my own experiences. I know many people who are renters & they have told me horror stories about renting & about their landlords. I have also gone on other websites & have read comment after comment about bad landlords. Most landlords are bad news, no matter what you say. And as for calling my neighbors "Mexicans", what is wrong with that? Why are you making a federal case out of it? They ARE Mexican, they certainly aren't white or black! I never used any negative racial slurs when I mentioned them, so what is your problem? You are a perfect example of an internet troll, always putting words in other people's mouths & trying to make them look bad by starting arguments. I asked you nicely to leave me alone & you didn't do it. Now I am TELLING you! Next time you say anything to me, & I know you will because people like you can't help themselves, I will not respond. Instead, I will take further action that will become necessary. I have nothing more to say to you, Lucy/Moonshadow, whoever you are, so leave me alone!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County