Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aerogurl87

Portable dishwasher in an apartment?

aerogurl87
11 years ago

My boyfriend and I have been renting our apartment for the past year and a half and it doesn't have a dishwasher. At first I was ok with this, but now I'm starting to get annoyed with the piles of dishes that pile up in the sink due to my newfound baking skills. Anyway, I found out that portable dishwashers do exist and was thinking of getting one for our apartment. Does anyone have experience with these or any brands they could recommend?

Comments (8)

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

Make sure that you're allowed to have them according to your rental agreement. Dishwashers use more water and electricity than washing by hand, so they may not be allowed if utilities are already included in your rent.

• aerogurl87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

colleenoz, I actually don't mind reloading and unloading the dishwasher. It's the actual washing part that I hate, haha. But that is a good idea and I may incorporate it into my routine.

greg_2010, I didn't think about that part. We pay our electricity, but the water bill is paid by our land lord. I'll have to go through the lease to see if it says we can't have a portable dishwasher. I don't think it's in there though, but I know our landlord told us we couldn't get a washing machine because it would use too much water. So she'll probably say no to the portable dishwasher as well. Oh well, I guess I'll add this to my list of motivational things to move out and get a house in a few years.

• mike1975
    11 years ago

I've lived in 3 different apartments and have always had a portable dishwasher. This apartment I'm in now is owned by relatives by marriage so it really wasn't an issue. Their water bill has actually gone down from the previous tenants who hand washed and had a top loading washing machine. I have a front load washer and run the dishwasher every 2-3 days.

• Alin1111
    11 years ago

I agree that living without dishwasher is terrible!! I and my husband rent our apartmant. According the contract we can't use portable dishes(

• christine1950
    11 years ago

I moved into a new apartment in Dec. and I've never used the dishwasher, Mine is now storage for all my pots & pans.. I agree with colleen keep the sink full of hot soapy water, works wonders..

• tashasilvester
    10 years ago

Portable dishwashers are not much different from the built-in models except the built-in dishwashers do heat the water for better sanitation.They also tend to be smaller due to their portable size, it can be fit anywhere.

• leenamark
    10 years ago

A portable dishwasher is a self-contained unit, rather than the built-in model seen in many homes. As the name suggests, it can be transported from one place to another, which is helpful in small kitchens.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz