Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nctrnl

Tenant builds 'apt. within apt' to thwart snooping landlord.

nctrnl
16 years ago

Yesterday i was talking with a coworker about my landlord & he mentions that his friend resorted to building an apartment within an apartment to keep his snooping landlord from going thru his things while he was away.

He recounted the story to me. His friend had signed a 5 year lease for a very nice apartment in a great neighborhood , but discovered that his landlord was snooping in his apartment while he was gone. He consulted an attorney that dealt with landlord/tenant law that said that in Missouri ... you basically have no rights if a landlord wants to come into you apartment & snoop around. He even confronted the landlord who then said that he could come in to "inspect" the apartment anytime he wanted. He was quite indignant about it all.... even the snooping through the tenant's things.

So what this guy did was he bought several large backyard shed kits (you know... the type people keep lawn mowers & other yard equipment in) & put them together inside his apartment. One for each room (except kitchen & bathroom). He modified them so that they were a bit taller & had windows etc. etc.. He then put a padlock on each one & locked them when he went out of the apartment. So basically it looks like a big box in each room.

I said that I wanted to see it for myself, but the guy is supposed to be writing up a big story about it to showcase/shame (the landlord) on the internet when his lease comes close to being up & that he didnt want anyone talking pics of it & posting them on the net.

Comments (27)

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Where on earth does a landlord give five year leases?

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

The day I find someone assembling outdoor sheds inside one of my houses is they day they are asked to leave. C'mon.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

moonshadow-The day I find someone assembling outdoor sheds inside one of my houses is they day they are asked to leave. C'mon.

How would you KNOW if they are doing this if you are coming in the tenants' unit without their permission?

What difference does it make WHAT a tenant uses to protect their valuables (or secure their privacy) from nosy landlords, so long as they aren't damaging your property or violating the rules of the lease?

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

nctrnl, too many landlords think they have ultimate dominion over those who rent from them. They think they have the right to come in, whenever they like. Emergency or not.

I live in a house now, but if I had a landlord who told me they could waltz in when they felt like it, I'd be very focused on returning the 'favor' and invading their privacy as well, where THEY live or work. I used to have a landlord who did this. I bought a locking file cabinet to store my valuables.

I also put up a note just inside the front door that said "SMILE for the camera"! I put a copy of the tenant/landlord laws next to this. This helped!

I really think more tenants would benefit from the use of hidden cameras in rental units. They aren't permanently affixed and can be monitored at a distance.

Can you imagine how much fun it would be to watch a nosy landlord getting a pie in the face on YouTube for coming in without notice!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

dreamgarden, are you serious? I don't do inspections without advance notice and I don't drop in, snoop, or spy on my tenants. I have zero time or inclination to do that kind of silly activity. But I often find myself inside the structure when I am called to fix a leaky pipe, or a malfunctioning lock, or a furnace or hot water heater acting up. So how would I KNOW they were putting up outdoor storage sheds on the interior of my house? Well it's kind of hard to miss a white elephant like that in the middle of the living room, don't you think?

And as far as what I can accept or not accept, it's my house, I pay the taxes, I pay the upkeep, I pay the whopping repair bills. So if someone wants to install an exterior building on the interior, I'm not going to take kindly to it. We're talking a storage shed for cryin' out loud, not a file cabinet with a lock. That's just ludicrous.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

dreamgarden posted: ".....so long as they aren't damaging your property or violating the rules of the lease?"

THAT is the point. How much do those things weigh and how much weight does the average apartment floor hold?

Personally I call shennaigans on the entire story, but of course there are people with mental illness who may attempt to install windowed storage sheds inside an apartment, but no normal person would spend $50,000 to do so and live out of them for the term of their "five year lease". LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storage Sheds with Windows

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Personally I call shennaigans on the entire story

Yeah, haven't had one this interesting in awhile ;D

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Yeah, I think the Apartment Forum trolls are running dry on ideas for wacky new scenarios to post. :)

• ihatenoise
    16 years ago

Good one, I was actually thinking of building a sound proof room inside an apartment, if we couldnt find an other place. Freestanding of course, something that can be broke down and taken with. Only thing was that the structure wasnt that great, and thought if that didnt bring the place down the upstairs people would. Dont get mad at me im just posting reason why i would do something like that. But the flipside is that i didnt have a snooping landlord.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

* bud_wi: "Yeah, I think the Apartment Forum trolls are running dry on ideas for wacky new scenarios to post. :)

My last landlord was a troll. I guess it takes one to know one. ;)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Just because your last landlord was a troll doesn't make all landlords trolls. Lighten up, dreamgarden.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

moonshadow-"Just because your last landlord was a troll doesn't make all landlords trolls. Lighten up, dreamgarden."

moonshadow, my comment was directed to snooping landlords who refer to other posters as trolls. Not those who treat their tenants' privacy with the respect and consideration the law demands.

The apartment forum does not cater to landlords (and I don't see 'forum moderator' next to your name.) So, please feel free to not impose imperial standards on other posters. Thanks ;)

• lucy
    16 years ago

But in the end, 'imperial standards' just really means opinion, and everyone should be free to express their own on forums (as long as they respect the forum's formal rules). Just because someone disagrees with you is not a reason to get so defensive. I think MS was just being philosophical, if not actually funny.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

Lucy-"Just because someone disagrees with you is not a reason to get so defensive."

moonshadows comment was directed to me, NOT you.

MYOB.

• lucy
    16 years ago

I'm quite aware of it... but your comment about forum admin. seemed a little nasty to me, so I commented.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

dreamgarden:
    lucy got it, you didn't. Now you've gotten nasty with 3 people out of 5 that have participated in this thread alone. Last time I checked GW was a public web site. Perhaps you should stop attempting to dictate what content (in your opinion) is acceptable, what forums you feel it's appropriate for others to participate in, and who can and cannot speak up. You seem to harbor a lot of negativity and landlord resentment, based on prior comments made and that web site you repeatedly like to link to. If it's because your "last landlord was a troll" as you stated above, why allow one person to have so much influence over your life and so much space in your head? Life's too short, KWIM?

;-)

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

moonshadow-"Last time I checked GW was a public web site. Perhaps you should stop attempting to dictate what content (in your opinion) is acceptable, what forums you feel it's appropriate for others to participate in, and who can and cannot speak up."

The last time I checked GW, it didn't say you have the right to lecture other posters while ignoring your own patronizing remarks.

Lucy didn't 'get it', she merely sided with you. Bud Wi threw the first stone about trolls, but you didn't feel the need to mention THAT 'nasty remark.

I guess you couldn't help yourself. You had to make comments such as "That's just ludicrous." and 'lighten up'.

That is behavior befitting an overly controlling landlord or a MODERATOR, not another poster. So I guess that shows how fair you are(n't).

Try to remember that I am NOT your tenant, and you are not a forum moderator.

Get it?

• lucy
    16 years ago

Excuse me (Lucy here in case you're not sure), but I did NOT 'side' with anyone - I have a mind of my own and even use it once in a while. How dare you accuse me of anything! You may be a 'product' of some forum(s) out there with SS tendencies controlling everyone with threatening moderators, but this is not at all the same kind of place - in fact, it's quite the opposite, and therefore anyone can (and should) call another poster on bad behaviour if necessary - and unless you're deaf, you've been called!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

hmmm...Well if utilizing words like 'ludicrous' and 'lighten up' shows how unfair I am and makes me an overly controlling landlord and/or moderator wannabe (LOL), what does your use of phrases like "takes one to know one", "MYOB" and "threw the first stone" say about you? What's next, are you going to stick your thumbs in your ears and wiggle your fingers and sing "na-na-na-NA-na" ? ;D

So I guess that shows how fair you are(n't). I'm curious. When I've attempted to help a tenant on this board whose landlord is being a jack@ss, and researched their State's laws, offered them links, etc. what does that make me in your eyes? Or do you not read (or comprehend) those posts? Landlords of lesser character might well view me as being a traitor for offering some of the info that I do when trying to help a tenant who's being treated unfairly. Guess that makes me a big ole' meanie no matter which way you slice it?

I've already conveyed my thoughts on the topic of this thread. Doesn't matter to me if it's a tenant in Missouri who's putting a shed in a rental house or the Pope putting a storage shed inside the Vatican, it's ludicrous. But that's just my humble .02. If you want to stick a storage shed somewhere - knock yourself out.

Try to remember that I am NOT your tenant
    *whew, big sigh of relief for both of us* ;D
    My tenants are honorable folks with class and dignity. Admirable traits that they convey by the manner in which they live and conduct themselves. No offense, but quite frankly it never dawned on me to make any association between you and them.

(As an aside, knowing them as I do, I'm pretty sure they would all think a storage shed inside a house is ludicrous, too! Not to mention it would really detract from the nice decor they've got going on. ;D )

You don't know (or comprehend) squat about me or what kind of landlord or human being I am. And you'll never get the opportunity to find out first hand. I'm sure we're both thankful that will never come to fruition!

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

lucy-"and unless you're deaf, you've been called!"

Unless I am "deaf"? LOL. Do you hear voices when you TYPE?! You obviously relish poking your nose in other people's business because I've seen you make similar comments like this in other forum. I'm sorry your life is so dull that you have nothing better to do than rush to the rescue of overbearing landlords. Please try to think for yourself once in awhile.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

moonshadow-You don't know squat about me either yet you feel arrogant enough to dress down others while admitting no faults of your own. I NEVER said people should build storage units in their apt. What I DID say was "What difference does it make WHAT a tenant uses to protect their valuables (or secure their privacy) from nosy landlords, so long as THEY AREN'T DAMAGING YOUR PROPERTY OR VIOLATING THE RULES OF THE LEASE?"

Once again you have twisted my words to make yourself look good. The fact remains that YOU are the one who thinks you know what is best for others and insist on setting the tone for this thread to your advantage. There is nothing ANYONE here at GW can do about it.

Are you familiar with the quote "Cast not ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you Matthew 7:6?

Talking to some people (who refuse to admit when they are wrong) is a lot like talking to a barnyard animal.

"You don't know (or comprehend) squat about me or what kind of landlord or human being I am. And you'll never get the opportunity to find out first hand. I'm sure we're both thankful that will never come to fruition!"

I learned enough about imperial landlording. Say whatever you like.

I'm done.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I'll agree with you on one thing, this is like talking to a barnyard animal.

I'm quite familiar with the bible. Go up a couple verses in Matthew. You know; judge not lest ye be judged. Take the plank out of your own eye before taking the speck out of others.

You've run amok on this thread slamming me, labeling me, making derogatory remarks about me, and you know nothing of the kind of person I am. You've got me wrapped up in one nasty package based on past experience with some landlord from days gone by. Because there's nothing in this thread to warrant the kind of snarky garbage you've thrown my way. I've had some really screwball tenants in my day. How would you feel if I attached all the appropriate negative descriptions of them to you, simply because you're a tenant and therefore you must be just like them?

How sad that you are such a grudge holder and so full of vengeful spite and negativity that you would transfer all that garbage onto a complete stranger.
    Notice you didn't acknowledge my question to you about what kind of landlord/person it makes me when I attempt to help tenants here.

Bottom line is you think you can be snarky and slam whomever you want however you like whenever you please, and when you get called on that bad behavior you get into a royal snit.

One more quote, dreamgarden: "Examine yourself..."

• privateperson
    16 years ago

Arguing on the Internet is like running on the Special Olympics....

win or lose, you're still retarded!

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Privateperson,
    Oooo, very politically incorrect. But darned funny! Thanks for a good laugh.

• organic_farmer_bob
    15 years ago

I really have to say I feel for every post I have read. Although Vancouver BC has a lot going for it in theory, it's landlords are not one of it's perks.

Take M Block Holdings...seems like a nice little company until you realize the M is Ms. Milos. Now I will set the stage by saying...my fiancee and I are weirdos. Really. 6'5", pink mohawk, don't shave as much as I should, housewife (by choice!! and a good one!!) and my girl is a little bit technicoloured also. That said my idea of fun is playing classical guitar and meditating and my fiancee paints and designs clothing. So we never had a neighbor complain, never made a lot of noise, we aren't tidy people but we are clean...So things started falling a part 3-4 months into a 12mo lease when she would do stuff like...

1 - Her unlocking our door and barging into our apartment while we were "in bed" (and not asleep).
    2 - Her screaming at us from the parking lot to come down stairs and talk to her...and when we did she accused of doing drugs because someone in the building was smoking pot. Neither of us do drugs, and we barely ever drink. She assumed it was us because my winter, indoor garden got supplemental florescent light. (Come on who smokes tomatoes?)
    3 - Someone broke into our mailbox - she tried to bill us for the new lock saying we had broke into it ourselves. Because I guess we were too stoned to use our key? I still don't get this one...

So we move out, 2 months notice instead of the normal 1 required by the lease... What happens?

She misses not 1 but 2 walk throughs...

She breaks into the apartment and gets very upset that she had to mop up the spilled water...(we left a full bucket of water right where the door would hit it for exactly this reason...if it spilled we knew she had broken in)

Writes a bad check to return our damage deposit. The bank manager at our bank even stamped it as a bad check because she had used white out, wrote 2 different amounts on it...etc. When we went to get a new check she started calling us racists and screaming obscenities at us. Accused us of being white supremists and hating immigrants...( for the record I am white, my fiancee is Haida(Native), and I am a recent immigrant to Canada...so....)

Now we live downtown in a great little place with a great landlord, of course our neighbour (who has a different landlord) is a wanna be Gangsta-with-subwoofer so...sometimes it seems you can't win!!

• lucy
    15 years ago

Why don't you move to one of the more remote islands there, so you won't ever be bothered by neighbours :-)? I'm just a bit curious as to why you're so busy characterizing everyone by their looks, ancestry, etc, and find it necessary to detail who's what. There is such a thing as 'reverse' racism - being so proud of yourself for having a 'technicolor' child and a woo-woo native boyfriend, not to mention a gangsta neighbour. Funny, eh?

• squ1rrel
    15 years ago

Lucy, i think the poster was referring to dyed hair on his fiancee by the technicolour reference...possibly tattoos. The aside was meant to show the oddness of accusing a native of white supremacy. As for gangster, that is yet to be restricted to any ethnicity, and subwoofers tend to go through walls...i think the poster was just noting a "can't win for losing" feeling..just my two cents though

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?