Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summitmanor

Neighbour always complaining

Summitmanor
19 years ago

I have been living in this apartment for the last six months. I live in the second floor. An elderly lady in her fifties lives in the first floor. The floors of the apartment are wooden. So I had more than 90% of the exposed area carpetted with padding below it. The construction of the building is not that good and clearly some noise is produced when we walk even though there is padding. The frustrating thing is that the lady living below us keeps on complaining of noise even we are talking at night.

Sometimes we talk and lose track of time. Is there any rule that you can't talk (not shout) in apartment complexes after 11? We do not believe that are making "noise", but the old lady complains that we are making noise. She even called police a couple of times. The last time she called police was because my wife was using grinder at 11 o'clock in the morning. Please advice us how we could react to this harrassment.

I know it is best that we settle things amongst ourselves, but this lady never gets tired of complaining. She fails to understand that the will be some amount of noise if people live upstairs. I am afraid that the lady might get us arrested or fined although it is not our fault. Can the police arrest/fine us if the lady continues to make compliants?

My lease is going to get over next June and I do not want to break the lease. Please advice me how I should tackle this problem.

Comments (3)