Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

apartment complex refuses to fix dryers!

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I have my own portable washer/dryer all in one unit (and dishwasher for that matter) (which does not violate the lease btw, I checked) that I use regularly because my unit didn't come with hook ups. My apartment complex has 4 coin operated laundry rooms. Each of them have 3 washers and 2 dryers. I use the public facilities when my laundry gets backed up and it's too much for my compact laundry processor to handle. I've noticed for the last month that one of the dryers in the laundry room has been broken. In talking to some other residents, I found out that one dryer in EVERY laundry room has been broken for over a month. The apartment complex has been notified and is refusing to do anything about it. My neighbor speculates it's so they can save money on water/gas/electricity. I think that's silly, because I'm sure they profit every time someone inserts 4 quarters into their machines.

It's creating a huge problem because people are "fighting" over the one dryer that does work... and if it goes out there won't be a back up. A friend told me that I might be able to get the complex in trouble by reporting them to code enforcement. I couldn't anything on google about that, so I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions.

If so, thanks in advance :o)

Comments (5)

• GammyT
    15 years ago

Does your lease say that the landlord is required to provide laundry facilities? Does it say they are required to provide 2 working dryers?

For your own portable unit, you better check your lease again, especially if your landlord pays the water bill. If nothing else, call the company that has your renters insurance and tell them you have a portable washer/dryer and portable dishwasher, without written approval of your landlord.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I've never heard of a code, requiring a landlord to provide coin operated appliances in a community location. You could check what the codes are for your area but it would seem unusual for that to be so. Otherwise, unless it is specifically written into your lease how many dryers you have access to, I don't think there is much you can do about this annoyance.

What surprises me is that you are allowed to have your own portable washer in you apartment. That is usually specifically banned in almost every lease I have seen. Not only the extra water usage, but landlords fear the drains becoming clogged with lint and then there is also the potential for a water leak and overflow damaging the floors, not to mention the noise the machines make that would disturb other tenants.

I guess you should consider yourself lucky that you can use your own dryer in your unit and not have to fight for the ones in the community laundry rooms.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's why I asked... I wasn't sure if they were actually violating anything or not. My friend said that when you sign the lease, you do it knowing that there are a certain number of working laundry facilities because that is what the complex advertises... so if they refuse to fix broken machines they should also reduce the rent. What if they refused to fix my A/C or refrigerator?

I pay my own water bill, btw! There is NOTHING in my lease about portable appliances... I looked it over very carefully.

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

Nearly every State, without fail, has laws that require that LLs must provide the basics for human shelter: heat and water. Air conditioning can vary depending on geographic location and state law. State laws generally do not state that laundry facilities are a requirement. Because it's not a necessity for human shelter. One can go to a laundromat if need be.

However states vary on appliance laws. In my state, if appliances are included as an inducement to rent (meaning unit is advertised as having specific, named appliances) then LL has to maintain those specific, named appliances. It's worded this way in my State law:

Landlord obligations
    Sec. 5. A landlord shall do the following:
    (1) Deliver the rental premises to a tenant in compliance with the rental agreement, and in a safe, clean, and habitable condition.
    (2) Comply with all health and housing codes applicable to the rental premises.
    (3) Make all reasonable efforts to keep common areas of a rental premises in a clean and proper condition.
    (4) Provide and maintain the following items in a rental premises in good and safe working condition, if provided on the premises at the time the rental agreement is entered into:
    (A) Electrical systems.
    (B) Plumbing systems sufficient to accommodate a reasonable supply of hot and cold running water at all times.
    (C) Sanitary systems.
    (D) Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems. A heating system must be sufficient to adequately supply heat at all times.
    (E) Elevators, if provided.
    (F) Appliances supplied as an inducement to the rental agreement

So you need to check your state's landlord/tenant laws. You can readily find it by googling "Texas landlord tenant laws" (leave out the quotes and put your state's name in where I put Texas).

• nightcrawler1961
    14 years ago

put up a clothesline somewhere.

Sponsored