Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marycr_gw

Quiet Hours???? HELP!

MaryCR
9 years ago

What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours?

This is our first time renting and we�ve lived here 5 months. Our neighbor below us just came up, pounded on my door and complained about the noise level at 10:30 p.m. on a Tuesday night. She said it always sounds like I�m moving furniture around and she can�t sleep.

I was shocked � my husband and pets are in bed by 9 p.m. nightly, and it�s just me working at a computer. I rarely get up and when I do it�s to grab a drink or go to the bathroom. I don�t play the radio or the TV, I�m not even talking on the phone.

Is it my walking 5 feet into the kitchen that is disturbing her? I�m 5�3" and live in socks and sweats?!?!? How much noise could I possibly be making?

When she came to the door, she could clearly see everyone was in bed and all the lights except at my desk were off. She blamed my dogs-who were still soundly sleeping in bed. I apologized profusely, shut the door and now I�m sitting here confused!

Our apartment is in a small vintage building with 3 floors and only 24 units. Each unit features high ceilings and original hardwood floors throughout. Part of the "vintage" charm is the floors are old and squeaky and there is little noise absorption. We hear our neighbors above and next to us all of the time. But it�s not something I would ever complain about.

In our apartment we�ve put down a huge thick oriental rug with padding in the living room and a runner down the main hall. The apartments are only 750 sqft, so this easily covers half of our unit.

Our building is uber pet friendly, most tenants have dogs and cats. We have two dogs and one cat, but my husband and I both work from home so they are rarely left alone. I work in publishing typically from 8 a.m. until 2-3 a.m. My husband starts at 4 a.m. and works until 2 p.m., he and the dogs are in bed before 9 p.m. every night.

Our quiet hours state 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. every day. Do quiet hours include walking around? Is this going to blow up into some huge feud? Do I contact the landlord and property manager to let them know about the situation, before my neighbors file a complaint?

These particular neighbors certainly aren�t angels � they burn incense constantly that stinks up the building hallways and entrance, their dog barks all day-every day while they are out at work, and they don�t clean up their dog waste in the building�s outdoor common areas. The only person I�ve complained to is my husband, and now you.

I really like our building and would like to stay here peacefully for at least a year or two. By the same token, I don�t want to be blindsided or bullied. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (12)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I can understand why your downstairs neighbor complained to you, I too live in an older building with squeaky floors,and no insulation. I hear every thing that goes on above me. I can hear him use the bathroom, I hear them having sex, the walking sounds like stomping and when the cat jumps off the furniture it sounds like a bowling ball has hit the floor. I did complain to the manager and he had a talk with them and since then its been worse. I can either move or get use to it. I've just started to turn the tv up loud to try and cover up the noise. Your neighbor is just going to have to get use to it, dont let her bully you and I would tell the building manager. Good Luck

• bbstx
    9 years ago

DH and I lived in a condo surrounded by college students while our house was being built. We had a white noise machine that we used in our bedroom. We slept like babies.

Mary, you could either suggest that you neighbor buy one, or you could buy it and give it to her. Using a BBB 20% off coupon helps with the price. You can also purchase the Dohm on Amazon. Christine, you might want one too.

When I bought our white noise machine, I did some research. The consensus was that machines that make noise by air moving through them are more effective than machines that use electronics to make moving-air-like noise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dohm white noise machine

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info bbstx, I'll have to look into one...
    Christine

• bbstx
    9 years ago

DS bought a house without realizing how close the train tracks were. She and DBIL cannot hear the train at all with their white noise machine.

I've bought them for all of my guest rooms, too.

• camlan
    9 years ago

If the floors are squeaky, there's things the landlord can do to stop the squeaks. But they cost money and are permanent (you can't take them with you when you leave), so that's an investment the landlord needs to make, not the tenants.

In the OP's shoes, I'd go to the landlord. Be pro-active and get to the landlord before the complaining downstairs neighbor does. Tell the landlord you have had a noise complaint, and what was actually going on at the time. Explain about the carpets you have put down, and any other things you do to reduce the noise--shoes off in the house, for example.

Ask if there are any other tricks the landlord knows to reduce the noise to the apartment below. This shows you are trying to be a considerate tenant. Then ask if there is anything the landlord can do to reduce the squeaks.

You could also question where the noise the downstairs tenant heard was coming from. In some buildings, noise travels sideways along pipes and such. It could be that people in a different apartment were, in fact, making noise.

Also, be wary of suggesting the white noise machine right away. If I complained to a neighbor about the noise I thought they were making, and their first comment was that I had to spend money to buy a white noise machine, instead of their having to be more quiet, I'd be upset.

Instead, talk to the landlord, find out if this level of noise is normal, and then tell her that. And maybe tell her one or two things that you are going to try to keep more quiet, even if they are just to appease her and won't make any real difference. Only after that should you offer suggestions of what she can do.

• MaryCR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks I've emailed a letter to the landlord who referred me to the management group. I sent out three additional emails to key people there and am currently awaiting a reply.

• camlan
    9 years ago

If the floors are squeaky, there's things the landlord can do to stop the squeaks. But they cost money and are permanent (you can't take them with you when you leave), so that's an investment the landlord needs to make, not the tenants.

In the OP's shoes, I'd go to the landlord. Be pro-active and get to the landlord before the complaining downstairs neighbor does. Tell the landlord you have had a noise complaint, and what was actually going on at the time. Explain about the carpets you have put down, and any other things you do to reduce the noise--shoes off in the house, for example.

Ask if there are any other tricks the landlord knows to reduce the noise to the apartment below. This shows you are trying to be a considerate tenant. Then ask if there is anything the landlord can do to reduce the squeaks.

You could also question where the noise the downstairs tenant heard was coming from. In some buildings, noise travels sideways along pipes and such. It could be that people in a different apartment were, in fact, making noise.

Also, be wary of suggesting the white noise machine right away. If I complained to a neighbor about the noise I thought they were making, and their first comment was that I had to spend money to buy a white noise machine, instead of their having to be more quiet, I'd be upset.

Instead, talk to the landlord, find out if this level of noise is normal, and then tell her that. And maybe tell her one or two things that you are going to try to keep more quiet, even if they are just to appease her and won't make any real difference. Only after that should you offer suggestions of what she can do.

• MaryCR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Status update - I emailed the property management group and so did our landlord on December 9 - I never heard back. The tenant below us has escalated harassment - banging on her ceiling with a broom - screaming/swearing at us from her apartment - almost on a daily basis and at all times mid-morning, afternoon, evening. The latest incident came this morning at 11 a.m. where she pounded on the ceiling and then came up and banged on our door. She threatened me and accused me of animal abuse since I have two dogs (who I rescued) that live in the apartment. I'm at wits ends. I've emailed the landlord and property management again, and still no response.

• hblotus95
    9 years ago

Hi Mary,
    Since I started the most current thread about neighbor noise, thought I'd jump in. In my case, I wrote a very polite note to my neighbor and would never in a million years go to the extremes your neighbor is doing to you. Next time she comes up in a threatening manner, I would immediately call the police and tell them you are in fear of your safety. A visit by the cops should at least temporarily back her off and show her you mean business. The onus here is really on your landlord/unit owner to fix the problem. Because your rental agreement probably has some sort of 'Quiet Enjoyment' provision, I would send a certified letter to your landlord saying if the problem with the neighbor isn't resolved in XX number of days, you intend on legally breaking the lease and expect to receive all of your deposit money back.

• camlan
    9 years ago

Yep, if this happens again, call the police. And the landlord and the property management company, all at the same time. Video your neighbor, or at least record her threats.

This is not normal. You need to protect yourself.

• MaryCR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I consulted an attorney friend and she recommended the same. I sent a stern letter to the property management threatening legal action and actually got a prompt reply. They are sending out a letter to the problem tenants tomorrow via certified mail. Finally!

And to add a spin to everything... another tenant and mutual friend of both of us, read her the riot act tonight. And around 11 p.m. tonight there was a knock at the door. I did not answer. When I checked later I found two apology notes saying sorry for being a "C**t" - yes she used the word twice - a brown paper bag of donuts with one of the notes written on the outside in marker, one bagel, a bottle of wine, and a bundle of incense sticks. I hope this a good sign.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!

• hblotus95
    9 years ago

Hi Mary,
    A couple of comments While it's good that you are engaging the management company, you need to be holding your landlord (person who owns the condo) far more accountable. He/she needs to be raising holy heck with the management company and threaten that if you move out because of this, he's holding them financially responsible. Regarding the notes and gifts your crazy neighbor left you, she is mentally unstable and I would immediately stop engaging her directly. Save everything for evidence purposes just in case law enforcement gets involved. Good Luck.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus