Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy solutions for smoke smell

Posted by bandman89 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 1:03

Ok so i am living in an apartment with my sister 2bed 2 bath and i am a smoker, she is not, she is actually allergic to it. As it stands i smoke inside the house in only my bedroom with both the door to the bathroom and the living space closed. I have my window open and a box fan in the window backwards so it pulls the air from the room out side not the other way around. So i smoke beside the window, my bed is up against it and i only smoke there. This has worked fine for the summer and fall but as it is getting colder outside i am freezing at night. I bought a little like box heater that is literally like right beside my head when i sleep to keep me warm.

Ok so long story short i would love some advice on things i can do to eliminate the smell so that i can close my window and still smoke? I have heard like to put vinegar or baking soda out to absorb the smell. Any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy solutions for smoke smell

There are air filter machines that can deal with the smoke odor. You'd have to do some research to make sure that they can cope with the size of your room and the number of cigarettes that you smoke.

o

I can save you a lot of money and effort - nothing will accomplish your goal. If you smoke cigarettes in that room, the smoke will move to the other rooms of the apartment.

Leaving the obvious solution unsaid, you and she need different roommates.

o

As has been pointed out above, there's not a great deal you can do about it.

Even if you take steps to cover up the smell in your room, it will still leave your room and go elsewhere in the house.

Either quit smoking, carry on as you were before or go outside.

Knowing that you have to brave the cold should cause you to smoke less too, so surely it's a win win all round?

o

Smoke allergies can be very serious - as someone with smoke-allergy-triggered asthma myself, I have to say that you need to put your sister's health at a higher priority, if not your own.

1. Quit smoking, it causes cancer and ages you faster
2. If you can't quit, smoke outside. It is a fire hazard to smoke in bed please do not do it!

You can't "remove" smoke indoors, even the best HEPA filter can't remove all the particles and those nasty pollutants will permeate your neighbor's apartments as well as your own.

o

Bandman89 - was any solution found?? For me cooking odors are a challenge. Having had anorexia long ago I find I cant tolerate kitchen smells. Any one else with the same problem & how do you deal with it? Yours or your neighbors?
Ive heard if they have firewalls between apts/townhouse units that that helps. How does one find out these things?
Thanks ahead for sharing as we're planning to move from a single family house to a townhouse..
Kathi333 (please email me directly if possible -
kathilachenauer@verizon.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here