Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landlord rights

Posted by babydeeg (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 0:39

Hi there, I don't live in an apartment but my husband and I just bought a house with a 2 bedroom suite downstairs. We are currently renting that out to a wife and husband who have a 2 year old boy. we are not living upstairs yet as we are in a rental lease until March so we rented the upstairs portion until then. My question is, what do you do if the child is unruly and the parents would do anything about it? The people upstairs have complained many times that the child is constantly screaming all day. He doesn't go to bed until 11pm and wakes at 3 am every night and screams for 1 hour or more and the parents do nothin. I have a 3 year old so I know how hard it can be to contain a toddler but we do try to take control of the situation especially if we know that it is bothering others. So if these people don't get the child under control do we as landlords have the right to give a warning and possibly evict?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landlord rights

Of course you have a right, and if you don't exercise it, you're likely to lose the other tenants.

o

Give the parents a warning letter and keep a copy for yourself. State the problem clearly and that if they do not rectify the situation they could face eviction. Give it till the end of the month, see if the upstairs people have more complaints.
You should keep a written record of all the complaints, too. It's just easier if you have to go back and remember what was said.
If the parents don't take control of their child then give them a one month eviction notice.
Always tough when you have young kids in apartment buildings.
Suzan J

o

Posted by lucy: Of course you have a right, and if you don't exercise it, you're likely to lose the other tenants.

They are going to lose them in March anyway. If they move out sooner they would be breaking the lease.

Babyd, my question is what are you going to do about the basement couple when YOU move in? Is the noise going to bother you? Would it be better to have a couple with a child living beneath you who understands YOUR toddler making noise? If you rent to a childless couple they may complain about the noise above them and move out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here