Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobbyw_gw

Garage apartment floor plan review

cobbyw
9 years ago

We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach, FL) and are also considering building a 2 car garage with an apartment on the top. The idea is that we would rent it long term. There is a large demand for long term housing in the area.

There would be a washer/dryer in the garage for tenant use. Stairs are on the outside of the building. The tenant could park their car in the garage below. It would likely be furnished as my sister in law is a decorator and could help choose furnishings that work in a small space.

I think it needs a full size frig. What other suggestions do you have? Should I eliminate the counter and stools and try to add a little table and chairs like an eat in kitchen? Pease offer any suggestions. Thank you!

Comments (2)

• camlan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What do you mean by "long term?" Is that a couple of months or a year or more?

I ask because I tend to see furnished rentals as a short-term affair. Someone will be in the area for a couple of months and doesn't want to move everything they own for that length of time.

Best bet is to check with rental agencies or real estate agents in your area to see what is the norm for a long-term rental in your area. I know for me, as a renter, I'd much rather have my own stuff around me, unless I was going to be there less than 6 months.

And do remember that if the place is furnished, you run the risk of a tenant damaging the furniture, and then you will have to replace it.

Who is your target tenant? A single person or a couple?

Could you eliminate the window and closet in the bathroom and run a tub/shower combo down that wall? A bathtub isn't an absolute necessity, but I've rented apartments with just a shower and there have been times when I really wanted/needed a bathtub.

The kitchen seems to take up a lot of space for a unit with only one or two residents. I would be tempted to make it smaller, and eliminate the peninsula. A small table would be a lot more useful--think of all the times you use a flat surface--wrapping gifts, using a computer, crafts/hobbies. If you have to keep the breakfast bar, then you need a desk or small table elsewhere in the apartment for those types of activities, if it will be furnished.

Given the space you have, I'd run the kitchen mostly along that upper wall, and a bit along the left-hand wall. Then use the space at the bottom for an eating area with a table and chairs. I like to cook and I bake a *lot* and I wouldn't need all the space that you have devoted to the kitchen. It sorts of dominates the living space in the current design.

Then you can float the sofa in the living space with its back to the kitchen/dining area, facing the right hand wall. The love seat could stay where it is. If you are furnishing the apartment, you might also consider a loveseat and two chairs, to give the tenant more options in how furniture is placed.

Also, if you are furnishing the place, don't forget nightstands and lamps in the bedroom.

I'd consider eliminating the bathroom closet and putting in built-in storage along the wall to the left of the entrance door, running it up to the kitchen area. A mix of open shelves and closed storage (cabinets) would blend in with the kitchen area, and give the rest of that wall more function.

Also, see if you can't enlarge the space at the top of the outside stairs to accommodate one or two chairs and a table, to give the tenant a bit of outdoor space to enjoy.

It looks as if each room gets one small window. I realize that heat is a problem in Florida, but could more windows or larger windows be added to allow more natural light into the space?

Yes to the larger fridge. However, for just one or two people, it doesn't have to be huge. A smaller full-sized fridge would be fine.

Things that would attract me as a tenant: the washer and dryer, the garage space (would there be storage space as well?), the privacy (no one living over or under me).

Things that would make me reconsider the apartment: the breakfast bar and no table, no tub, renting a furnished place. No one thing is a deal-breaker, but added up, I might want to hunt further.

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback.

Long term meaning 12 or more months- yearly lease. I agree that it makes more sense to leave unfurnished.

Likely target is single person. I will consider tub and eliminating peninsula.

I like your ideas for redesign. Thank you very much!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living