Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And how about my Security?

Posted by vw1463 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 19:53

Hi, I live in Corona NY.

I lived in and apartment for one year, now the lanlord notify me that i need to move because he need to vacant the house, he is going to sale the house.

he told me that for the mean time i dont have to pay this month, yesterday they told me I have till the 20 of this month to move.

The question is: since he is the one requesting me to move, am I entitle to my month security?

By the way Im in a month to month renting...

Thanks Victor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And how about my Security?

In answer to your question, yes, you are entitled to get your security deposit back. Go through the normal walk through and make sure you receive the paperwork indicating that there is no damage to the property.

I do not know what the law is in NY, but where I live, a person on a month to month agreement must receive a 28 day notice to vacate. I would assume that there is a similar law in place in NY. I would be surprised to hear that a LL can ask a tenent to leave with only a two week notice.

o

You're entitled to your deposit as long as there is no damage and no past due rent. I would make sure your landlord does not intend to keep two+ weeks worth of the Deposit toward rent for this last couple week period, after telling you that you 'don't have to pay rent'.

BTW, s/he didn't legally give you enough time. Per NY State landlord/tenant laws, a 30 day minimum notice is required on either party's part for termination of a month-to-month lease. I haven't yet found where sale of the building impacts notice time (i.e. shortens it, which is doubtful). I put in all my leases if the house is sold tenants will be given 30 days notice.

Scour the link below, it's an easy read and it addresses SD, what happens when the building is sold, etc. and gives local phone #'s for Atty General offices should you have further questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY State Tenant's Rights Guide

o

I hope that part where you were TOLD you didn't have to pay rent this month is in WRITING. If not, it could come back and bite you in the a$$.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here