Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to approach noisy neighbor?

Posted by soggynacho (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 4, 06 at 19:18

Hi,
I moved to this duplex 2 months ago. My neighbor is a freaking DJ and several nights a week I hear (and feel) him playing music. Sometimes he has people over, sometimes he's just got it loud b/c he's doing something outside.
It wouldn't bother me as much if it were only once a week, or for only an hour or two at a time. BUT everytime he does it for 4 or 5 hours. Twice the music has been thumping past 3 AM. Its getting under my skin, puts me in a bad mood and yesterday I got a headache from all the thumping. I try to tune it out but I can hear it over everything... even when i turn my tv up all the way. Sometimes when his music isn't up all the way I can go in my bedroom and turn on a fan and not hear it, but what the heck am I supposed to do in my bedroom all day? No tv or computer in there.
I came home from work today and was immediatly aggravated b/c I could hear music from outside. I came in and gave him the benefit of the doubt... maybe he doesn't know I'm home. After half an hour I couldn't take it anymore and turned my stereo on until I couldn't hear his anymore. Its Loud.
I keep thinking I just want to buy a new stereo and blast him out, but I know that isn't the mature thing to do. Obviously he isn't being considerate of us. Don't know if talking to him will help. but... what should I say. How can I say it politely and effectively?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to approach noisy neighbor?

I think the best thing to do is go and speak with him and fully explain your situation...other than that, speak to your landlord, see if other tenants are having similar issues, etc...

Good luck :)

o

I agree with Kate 7, I think talking to him might help. It's not like he's doing something we do every day, such as walking; something like that is hard to avoid. But Djing, that's a bit different. If your discussion with him doesn't help, I suggest talking to the landlord.

But, I do have a question of my own. I would listen to my own advice, but I have three neighbors that have the same problem - and I only have seven neighbors total - they hate their doors. I'm assuming they hate their doors because they slam them all day. And by slam I mean the picture frames on my wall are impossible to keep straight, I have given up and accepted they will always move and never be parallel with the floor. Or worse, if I don't hear much noise and then suddenly they leave or enter their apartment I will literally jump off the sofa because it's so loud and it scares me half to death. If it was one person, I wouldn't have a problem, but I don't know how I'm supposed to confront half of my neighbors who feel it is necessary to make all the walls shake. Is it too much to ask my landlord (who is very nice and reasonable) to install the doorstoppers that go on the hinges and slow down the door, making it impossible to slam the door?

o

ruffee10,
I would say you could ask your landlord to speak to them, since you have other neighbors they wouldn't know it was you complaining.
Unfortunatly I live in a duplex so he would know its me! haha.
The past week has been better, even though last friday the music was really loud he turned it down at 10:00pm.

o
update

I looked out the window this morning to see a red pick up being filled with all his furniture. Hurray!
Now, lets hope the people that move in aren't any worse :/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here