Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I do about cigarette smoke seeping in?

Posted by solomongrundy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 18:56

I live in a 3rd floor apt. My downstairs neighbor smokes, which in itself, doesn't bother me, except for the fact that it seeps into MY apartment.

What can I do to prevent this odor from permeating my home and possessions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I do about cigarette smoke seeping in?

You first need to find out where its coming in from. Is it coming in through cracks in interior doors or plumbing pipes running from downstairs or maybe heating vents? Once you find that out blocking the spot should be easy for you. Good Luck.
Christine

o

The tables are turning. Where I live there's much discussion about whether your issue is worthy of making it illegal to smoke in apartment buildings altogether. I don't mind smoking but we all know it's a really bad habit.

I recall an experiment from high school biology where moving or adding clean air worked best to dissipate. (I don't remember what were were proving though :\) Plugging holes or masking the odor is one solution but adding a fan or air purifier should help.

o

Get a good air purifier.
And Natural Magic or Citrus Magic odor absorbing gel tubs for rooms + closets. They neutralize, not mask, and do work very well.

o

That only happens when i leave windows open.Wish the sound proofing was as good as the scent proofing lol.
You didn't say if he smokes in the home or out on his balcony.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here