Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbaird_gw

Buying a condo?

bbaird
20 years ago

New to this with stupid questions...

If I want to pay cash outright for the condo, should I expect the seller to come down in price? If so, what percentage?

In Connecticut, 600 sq ft- any idea what I should expect to pay per month (ballpark) for electric heating?

Is a condo less desirable than a coop due to less restrictions on occupancy and renters?

TIA

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Maybe the "buying and selling homes" forum would be the place to go.

"If I want to pay cash outright for the condo, should I expect the seller to come down in price? If so, what percentage?"

You can expect it. You even can ask it. But they don't have to do it.

Why should they accept less, just because it's cash? Your paying cash does NOTHING for them except make the settlement happen faster, with less paper to sign. It doesn't decrease any of their selling expenses (comissions to RE agent, taxes, etc.). If you get a regular mortgage, they still walk away with a cashier's check.

• thecactuslady
    20 years ago

Hi Tia ... Can't say for CT, but in MO the electric on a 600 sqft is appx. $90 in summer with window unit, and $40 in the winter with baseboard heaters. As for the winter, you should know that I live on the second floor and only in bitter cold weather do I turn heat on. The rest of the time, the heat from the unit downstairs rises and keeps me plenty warm! Plus, I also have the TV running all day for my poor little dog and a couple of lights as well too. Your consumption will differ too depending on if the sun is on the unit all day or not ... I have mostly shade. Cyndi

• talley_sue_nyc
    20 years ago

Coops are better if you intend to live there for awhile; the co-op structure sometimes translates into a slightly more stable group of tenant/owners, and they sometimes behave better and are better neighbors.

However, coops often come w/ restrictions on renting it out or subletting. Also, some coops have "anti-churning" fees--every time an apartment is sold, the seller pays a fee to the co-op board. This is intended to prevent short-term tenancy.

Condos are more likely to be structured in a way that lets you sublet them (or even become and landlord who rents it out). They also are more likely to have rowdier neighbors, because they don't have to prove they're sane in order to get in. And if very many condos are rented out, you get the "I'm a renter, I don't care" attitude more often.

Having the option to sublet or rent out might be nice if you plan to move up or out pretty soon; subletting or renting your apt might mean you could have some cash coming in, or greater flexibility in when you move out.

But the clauses and agreements at each individual condo or coop will tell you more, because these are simply trends. Some co-ops allow sublets, or allow them to approved renters; some condos don't allow renting it out.

• talley_sue_nyc
    20 years ago

sometimes selling an apt. in a coop is kind of slow, because the buyer has to get co-op board approval, which can take a while. So if you honestly think you'll want to trade up pretty soon (and w/ 600 sq ft, you might just want to pretty soon) , a condo is more likely to allow you flexibility in terms of your closing date on a new place.

• bbaird
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you all for our input. I thought that a coop probably tends to weed out lousy (lousier) neighbors.

• diydana
    20 years ago

Our condos are lived in by the owner except for 2 condos that have the grandfather law ...meaning they can do what ever coz it was so long ago they started renting it but if they sell the new owners cannot rent it out.
    huh...does that compute?
    What the heck....co-op huh?
    spain Lucy splain it to me.
    If I had cash I would expect the cost to be lower.
    But it is true the bank holds the deed and the seller gets paid no matter what ...cash or loan...
    I would stick to my guns at any rate and always be prepaired to walk away.
    Knock on doors and ask the would-be neighbors...how are the kids here...crime....friendly...break in probs etc.

• talley_sue_nyc
    20 years ago

A co-op board CAN weed out lousy neighbors, but only if it tries (and if it succeeds). Condos usually sell to anyone that has the cash; co-op boards usually insist on approval. That's part of why it takes so long to sell one.