Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quietrenter

Is this a valid complaint?

quietrenter
10 years ago

I live on the top floor of a 3rd floor apartment, and have lived here for around 10 years. For the past several years a woman who lives on the 2nd floor (not directly under me) leaves her apartment at about 6:15 a.m. and pulls her car from the detached garage to the front of the building. She then honks her horn so her 2 high school age daughters can go down to the car. The problem is that her daughters never go right away, so the woman honks her horn over and over again between 6:15-6:30. In the winter it's disruptive but in the spring and fall when windows are open she often wakes me up. Who wants to listen to a constantly honking horn right away in the morning? The apartment building across the street is situated in such a way that sound bounces between the buildings and in the summer when someone is talking in front of the building it sounds like they're right inside my apartment. That doesn't bother me but I'm reaching the end of my rope with the honking horn. Do I have a valid complaint? I will call the manager and complain if I do. Her car is on the street when she does this, so I'm not sure if it's covered in the quiet rules on the lease. Also, she is not a native English speaker and is always swearing and ranting at her kids, so she's not exactly approachable and I won't confront her on my own.

Comments (6)