Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlin29_gw

help!!!!

karlin29
18 years ago

Hello... I have a question about what to do about making a roommate pay for rent after breaking the lease... Ok that sounds really confusing! Let me explain. I live in a house with three other roommates. One of our roommates had two rabbits. I asked her to get rid of them because I was allergic. She did not want to do that. Therefore, she went and signed another lease with out us knowing that she was leaving and then gave us only about a week and a half notice before she left. Before she left, she asked us for her deposit back.

Now... we are trying to find a new roommate but we are in college and for us to find a new roommate is going to be hard with Winter Break coming up and the semester ending. We want to take our roomamte to small claims but don't know if it would do us any good. We still have six months on our lease and we feel that she should pay that money unless we are able to find ab new roommate. The only thing is only one of us signed the lease. She never signed it. Did we kind of screw ourselves over there or would we be ok? A lease can be a oral agreement and we could prove that she had agreed to the lease.

If anyone could get back to me I would appreciate it!!! Any legal advice would be great too!!!! THanks a bunch!!!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored