Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen5276

Being ignored by landlord

jen5276
18 years ago

Well, I posted a few weeks ago regarding my dishwasher not being hooked up. I moved into the apartment in October and discovered that the dishwasher was never connected, the previous tenant never used it, so the landlords werenÂt aware of this problem.

So, I informed the landlord about the problem, and she told me she would have her husband come and look at it. After he came to see it, he discovered that it was never connected and that he would need to call an electrician. He told us that he would let us know when they would come to install it.

This was about 3 weeks ago and I have heard nothing. I spoke to the woman a few times and she told me that they are playing phone tag with the guy and would get back to me. She seems like she is telling the truth, but I canÂt be sure if she is just pacifying me to get me to leave her alone. She told me (on the 1st when she came to get the rent) that if they couldnÂt get the guy they know, they would call someone from the yellow pages.

I donÂt have a lease in this apartment, and IÂm beginning to worry that these people might be deadbeat landlords. I also have no doorbell, and she also told me that it would be fixed, to no avail. I am sick of calling her and feeling like I am harassing her, however, I would like these things to be fixed, particularly since Thanksgiving is coming and I would like to have the dishwasher working by then.

I really wish that there was some kind of screening for landlords before you move (the same way they like to screen us). LOL I just seem to have the worst luck with these situations..

Comments (6)

• jazzie
    18 years ago

You could ask her if you got it fixed, if you could hand in copies of the repair reciepts, that that amound could be deducted from your rent.

• GammyT
    18 years ago

Jen, you moved in without a lease, that means you have no guarantees or protection and the landlord doesn't have to fix a thing. If I were you I would just leave her alone then look for a new place to live after Christmas.

If you really like the apartment and want to stay. The door bell would be what I would I would fight for.

After 20 years of apartment life I can tell you that landlord bought dishwashers are only good for two things. First is a place to store oversized things. The second is when someone in the home is sick, you wash the dishes then put them in the dishwasher and it sterlizes them.

• lazypup
    18 years ago

Absolutely DO NOT contract repairs on the hopes that you can turn the receipt in for rent credit. Not only will you not get your rent credit, but you could find yourself in some very hot water for a number of reasons:

1. You are not the owner or bonafide representative of the owner, therefore you cannot legally enter into a contract on behalf of the owner.

2. Landlord/Tenate laws prohibit tenants from making any repairs or alterations to the attached real property portions of the structure. Not only can the landlord refuse to pay your bill, they could evict you for property damage.

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Jen -
    You HAVE RIGHTS! Look up "residential landlord and Tenant" and the name of your state at Google.

Lease or no lease, the landlord has obligations ... depending on state laws, you might be able to send them a notice that the DW needs repair, and then have the thing repaired and repairs deducted from the rent if they don't fix it.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Suggest to her that they reduce your monthly rent a reasonable amount until this is fixed. That might light a fire under her...

• rdowns
    18 years ago

I do not know this to be true in your case, but I can tell you that we know several electricians (dh in construction trades) and we have had a very difficult time getting someone to come out and rewire an old house we just bought. They are willing, just very busy. It is difficult to get someone to come out for a small job, i.e. fixing a dishwasher. They will do these things, but they do it at a time that is convenient for them. This time of year, tradesman are backed up with work as people prepare for the holidays and winter. They may not be giving you the run around, they could very well be having trouble lining someone up. In addition, I would hazard a guess that having a dishwasher is not essential to your habitability and would not constitute a reason to withhold rent.Beware of those that suggest you do this. In many cases that is just cause for eviction. Your LL didn't know about the dishwasher and says they are trying to fix it. If you were my tenant I would do everything I could to take care of it. I like someone that wants to keep the place clean and it is likely your LL feels the same way. But don't lose hope, our electrician called today and said that due to the extreme cold he wouldn't be able to do the job he had scheduled and could fit me in- woohoo, maybe something similar will happen for you soon.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone