Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dampness

Posted by joe234 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 6:03

hey everyone
we have been living in a 2 bedded cottage the last few months the place is full of damp all my clothes in my press were soaking wet my passport and my daughters passport was ruined also her clothes the place was smelly, we got onto the landlord a number of times who kept telling us it wasnt damp we eventually got someone who cane in drilled loads of holes all over the house and said they were pumping stuff into the walls, they then gave us two humdifiers and told us to keep them on all the time which is adding to our electricity bills. we are paying 950 rent a month and we think its too much for the state the place is in also with all the clothes and other stuff ruined they owe us. i want to write a letter to the landlord explaining all this and requesting they reduce the rent i just do not know how to start or anything like that has anybody any ideas
thanks linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dampness

Linda, I have three pieces of advice. First, check your lease. Many leases have clauses that state pretty clearly what responsibilities the landlord has and when/if the landlord needs to pay for your damaged belongings.

Second, look up the landlord/tenant laws in your state. These vary greatly from state to state, so without knowing where you live and what the laws are, it's impossible to give you good specific advice. But usually, the law is greater than the lease, so even if the lease says the landlord isn't responsible, if the law says he/she is, the law wins.

Third, if you feel strongly about this, you should consult a lawyer. It's possible, if you check around, to find a lawyer who will listen to your case for free, and let you know if you have a case to take to court.

In the meantime, start documenting everything that you can. When you made phone calls to the landlord and what was said by both parties. Print out copies of any emails you sent or received.

o

hey thanks a million for ur advice i live in ireland renting in co.wicklow, were happy enought to stay here but i feel the rent is too high for wat were living in we have done alot of work to the house also

o

I knew you were in Ireland when I read the word "press". 950 E is too high for a 2 bedroom cottage OUTRAGEOUS. Rents are dropping, you need to look around. I know landlords are still taking advantage of people in Dublin & Cork city but if you are not in a city you can do better. Check out daft.ie, I follow it because I plan on renting in Clare or Kerry in the upcoming year.

o

You're happy to put up with those conditions so long as the rent is reduced?

That's ridiculous. As well as the awfulness of damp clothes, living in a damp property can be really, really bad for your health.

Either get the landlord to sort out the problem, or get out as soon as you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here