Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just moved into my apartment and it is infested with fleas!Help!

Posted by canicatchabreak (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 22:29

I just moved into my new apartment...After moving all of my furniture in, I found little jumping bugs living in the carpet. In the lease I signed it claimed that the apartment had been cleaned for bedbugs...but that seems to have been a lie. Can I make management pay for this?!?! Thanks for the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just moved into my apartment and it is infested with fleas!He

Fleas and bedbugs are two different bugs. What kills one might not affect the other at all.

Call management and ask them to come and kill the fleas. They will probably use a flea bomb and you will have to vacate the apartment for several hours. If you have pets, you will need to get them out of the apartment as well. The flea bomb will most likely need to be repeated in 2-3 weeks--the chemicals will kill the adult fleas, but not the larvae, which will hatch in 2-3 weeks.

If management won't do anything, you will need to flea bomb the place yourself. A good pet store will have what you need. If you don't kill the fleas, they will bite you and any pets you have.

o

Also treat any pets with a product that kills the larvae.

If management is reluctant to eliminate the infestation you have the right to break any lease based upon "a warranty of habitability", which is the responsibility of the owner to provide as a condition of the unit being offered as a domicile.

o

:-( what a horrible situation to find.

I think it's important though that you determine if these are fleas or bedbugs.

If you're seeing them in the day and they're jumping I would guess at fleas but I can't say for sure.

o

That is horrible. I agree with the other comments. The apartment has to be hospitable. If you just moved in, I would consider moving out. But if you have been there a while or if you like it there you have to give the landlord a chance to get rid of the flees.

o

I feel your pain. I literally just went through this with an apartment I moved into a few months ago. Call the management immediately and tell them there are fleas. It is their responsibility to ensure that your apartment is habitable. Some leases, although rare will offer a 30 day guarantee where you can break your lease. If this is an option, I would use it. If not, the management needs to have it sprayed.
They will likely send out a pest control tech to spray your apartment. Make sure that they spray with the chemical that inhibits growth so the eggs don't hatch. You will need to vacuum every day for about a week to make sure you're picking up the eggs. Either empty the canister or replace the bag after each vacuuming so the fleas don't continue to hatch in the bag.

As far as your furniture, you can get Borax and sprinkle it over it and just let it sit for awhile it will dehydrate any fleas or eggs in the furniture. Also wash any bedding and anything that has been on the floor in hot water.

There are also electronic flea traps you can buy that attract fleas so you can check your progress. If you don't want to buy one you can also take a shallow dish and put water and a little bit of soap (not too much) to catch them. Put it under a desk lamp in a dark room and they will be drawn to it and fall in.

If it gets to the point where you cannot stay there, make sure the landlord reimburses you for the time that you had to spend not living in the apartment. If you end up needing to leave and they do not fix the problem, you can break your lease but the procedure depends on what state you're in. At that point, I would recommend discussing with an attorney about getting a constructive eviction which would allow you to break your lease because the landlord is in breach by not making it a habitable environment.

Good luck, I'm sorry you're having to go through this. It will get resolved most likely but this is just advice based on my experience with my slumlord of a landlord.

o

I hope the OP hasn't scratched themselves silly since they first posted....

I wouldn't want a flea bomb in my place so here is another solution to consider. You can purchase this at garden/feed supply stores.

Diatomaceous Earth: A miracle cure for flea control?

A link that might be useful:

www.fleacontrolbook.com/naturalfleacontrol/diatomaceous-earth-the-a-miracle-cure-for-flea-control/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here