Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_7_gw

Landlord possibly breaking lease?

kate_7
17 years ago

Hey all

If you haven't been following my other posts, I'm a major quiet person and I've been having troubles with the "new"er people in our 4 storey building - particularly, those below me (a couple about 23ish, the guy rides a Harley).

This past Friday, I arrived home from a long day at work (around 9:30PM) only to be greeted by THUMPING bass from downstairs. I mean, vibrating the walls and my computer. And yes, I understand it's a Friday...however...

Our lease specifically states as a rule:

"Noise must be kept at a minimum at all times, especially between the hours of 11pm-8am" (direct quote).

So, according to that, there should not be thumping bass through my floor, right? Cuz that ain't a "minimum".

Anyway, we (my boyfriend and I) have approached the couple below before about loud noise, and both times they were very kind and turned it down.

I didn't think anything differently tonight. My boyfriend trekked downstairs, only to be completely ignored, have someone yell at him through the door, and crank the music.

Appalled, I called the landlord - surely my COMPLAINT would warrant them enough to turn it down.

I was told, quote "We can't do anything because it's still early."

...excuse me?! It says specifically in our lease "MINIMUM AT ALL TIMES"...And I'm issuing a complaint because my "right to quiet enjoyment" is being violated.

Nothing. Nada. I had to put up with the music for another 2 hours.

Now...is that not the landlords violating the lease rules? Is there something I can do?

To note, I have all sorts of "white noise" making things in my apartment - radio, fans, TV, fish tank filters running, etc...and yet I can still hear any music (very sensitive ears, unfortunately).

I feel as though my landlords (wife and husband, mid 40s) don't take me seriously because I'm only 20. They seem to brush off everything I say. I'm really frustrated because when I get nervous, my voice wavers a lot, so when I do speak to them about something, I sound really unsure of myself...though in my head, I'm not.

Please help :(

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES