Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbour's boiler leak caused ceiling damage

Posted by baburao (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 12, 06 at 20:08

Hi,
I live in a condo which is an 8 unit building with people next to us and above us. Few days back our upstairs neighbour's boiler leaked and we had lot of water leaking from the ceiling of our kitchen and damaged part of our ceiling. The neighbour got their boiler fixed and the leak stopped. They were very nice to accept their responsibility and made an insurance claim. The problem is that their insurance is offering us only $500 whereas the work to fix the ceiling would cost more than $2000 as appraised by an appraiser. We don't have insurance and are now in a fix as to what needs to be done. If we proceed legally can we get them to pay the remaining amount? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbour's boiler leak caused ceiling damage

Tell their insurance that they are expected to pay for FULL repairs. The other guy's bouiler is NOT your responsibility.

Get estimates from licensed, bonded repair companies and send them to the insurance companies. Tell them that they will pay for the repairs or they will pay for the repairs AND the cost of suing them to get the full amount.

o

Hi,
I live in a condo which is an 8 unit building with people next to us and above us. Few days back our upstairs neighbour's boiler leaked and we had lot of water leaking from the ceiling of our kitchen and damaged part of our ceiling. The neighbour got their boiler fixed and the leak stopped. They were very nice to accept their responsibility and made an insurance claim. The problem is that their insurance is offering us only $500 whereas the work to fix the ceiling would cost more than $2000 as appraised by an appraiser. We don't have insurance and are now in a fix as to what needs to be done. If we proceed legally can we get them to pay the remaining amount? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

o

I'd tell the insurance company the estimates are around $2,000. I'd also talk to the upstairs neighbor. Ultimatly its the neighbor not the insurance company who is responsible. The neighber also might be able to get further with the insurance company than you.

o

And get some insurance! Renter's insurance costs about $200 a year. As you have seen it can save you a lot of money. What if it's your boiler next time?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here