Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
featherwind_gw

How to approach the unmentionable...

featherwind
17 years ago

I need some advice on this. It's a touchy topic that we tend not to speak about when it comes to neighbors. I live in a loft style apartment. I've been very fortunate to have wonderful quiet next door neighbors. There is no one above me and there's about 3 feet of cement between floors so you can't hear anyone below you. I have some neighbors who just moved in not too long ago. I used think the walls were soundproof because I never heard anything next to me.

My neighbors fight and use profanity. They place music with bass that shakes my walls. I notified the landlord and she sent them a notice telling them that they were in violation of their lease and to keep it down. Even I left an annonymos letter on their door politely asking to keep the noise down after 10pm. They have been quiet since for the most part. But what do you do when you can hear them (loudly) during "intimate" times. I realize this is a family site so I won't go into details but it is clear that their bed is aligned to the bedroom wall that is also my bedroom wall. My main issue is that they are so upclose to the wall that they are pounding into the wall and it sounds like body parts are bumping into my wall. All it does it wake me up and then I hear the other unmentionable sounds. I have a fan to drown out those noises but the bodies hitting the wall is just ridiculous. I talked to the landlord and she has to figure out a sensitive way to bring it up. I have no where else to put my bed. Is it too much to ask to just have them to move their bed a few inches away from the wall. I'm not asking for a complete room makeover. Just stop banging into the wall at the wee hours of the night. I don't want to be woken up at 4am (last night) to bodies slamming into the wall. I understand these things happen in apartments. I've been in a realtionship for 3 years and my boyfriend and I always made sure noises were kept to a minimum and we didn't involve the neighbors by having the bed right against the wall.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations