Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitty Carpet Problems

Posted by blackecho (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 19:15

Hi all! My fiance and I recently adopted a cute but psycho kitten from our local animal shelter. She has been great... until now! We've had her for two weeks and left to go to work yesterday and she shredded and basiclly pulled up about eight inches of carpet out of two corners in both our bedroom and bathroom.

We don't want to replace the whole carpet, but it's somewhat noticable and we're more than afraid that our Landlord will make us do just that.

Any ideas as to what we could do to repair it without having to spend hundreds to replace the carpet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitty Carpet Problems

I had the same thing happen to me. I don't know what type of apts. you live in, but where I live everytime someone moves out they replace the carpet. I asked the carpet layers if I could have some of the leftover pieces and some of the padding. They were happy to give me some. I used that and you can hardly tell what my little darlings had done. Hope this helps.

o
RE: Kitty Carpet Problems

How long have you lived there? If you have been there 5 years in many states you don't have to pay for carpet damage because there is an assumption that normal wear and tear has made it depreciate beyond value so it isn't part of the security deposit or cleaning deposit.

Assuming you are stuck, don't repair the ruined area until you are ready to move, because kitty might ruin your repairs too! You could try putting scratch pads over those areas, but that didn't work with my kitties, they wanted real carpet to ruin.

Samturtle has the best solution if you can get some scraps.

Another trick is to swap carpet out of a closet. Find a remnant or carpet on the roll that looks as much like the original carpet as possible, especially thickness and texture. Take a one foot section out of the deepest back corner of the closet that is the hardest to see, use that chunk to fix the kitty damage, and replace the square in the closet with a piece of remnant. If you cant match it well enough, you might be able to recarpet the entire closet with the new stuff, and save what you took out to fix any future damage from kitty.

Places like home depot sell carpet. A one foot piece of a 12 foot roll is 12 square feet, or less then 2 square yards. Even 20 dollars a square yard that isnt too bad. It is sure worth a try.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here