Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Florida Tenant Laws question

Posted by darkhaven80 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 07 at 15:57

I have a question. My best friend lives in the same apartment complex as I do and last month the pest control and apartment manager entered her apartment without any notice, and actually just unlocked and opened the door without knocking. They told her they were spraying. I thought you were supposed to have some sort of notice before they can come in like that? Today I had the maintenance man in my apartment over my air conditioner and when I mentioned this, he said, you know we don't have to give you any notice to come in over things like that. I find that troubling as I hate people in my apartment without me knowing or if I'm not here. Anyone know the truth of this? I thought in Florida you needed two days notice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Florida Tenant Laws question

Oh, and to clarify after reading what I wrote, I did invite them in for the air conditioner, she just didn't have any knowledge of them spraying that day. She's lived here two years now and never has seen them for that.

o

If nothing else, I'd be very upset for one reason - what if I'd had pets (birds especially) in there that were very susceptible to fumes, etc. from the spraying, and had been given no chance to move them at least to another room?

o

Thankfully they don't have pets, but I find it very intrusive and would be angry myself. Just not sure if it's legal or not to just enter without warning for pest control.

o

I have linked to Florida statute below that I found. It's from a site other than Florida, so it would pay to google "Florida landlord tenant law entry" and find something directly from the State of Florida.

12 hours notice is necessary, however there are exceptions.
See article 83.53 Landlord's access to dwelling unit. at the link below for details (scroll about half way down the page).

The only way they might be able to get in without giving notice in this instance is by claiming they entered to "preserve the premises" from bugs, per item 2 of the statute cited above: The landlord may enter the dwelling unit at any time for the protection or preservation
of the premises.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fla Landord Tenant Statutes

o
and a P.S.

Forgot to link to this page that gives you contact info in case you'd like to discuss this with someone in Fla.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fla LL/Tenant Contact info

o

Thank you so much everyone, sorry it took me so long to respond to the last, but I hadn't noticed it until now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here