Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

first night in first apartment

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Hello! It finally happened! After two months of living with a former friend while I was on the waiting list, I moved into my apartment yesterday. My former friend and I have stopped speaking since I moved, his drug problem is ruining his life and it ended our friendship. (I didn't know he did it until 3 years after we met!) So, my bottom floor apartment made moving in really easy. I got a U-HAUL just to move my couch and recliner. Since I didn't have any help, I had to tumble the couch across the grass to get it into the apartment. I don't know what I would have done if it had been a second floor apartment. There's no way I could have tumbled it up the stairs! The place is in shambles right now... I have stuff everywhere. I still have a lot of things in storage, but I am going to take my time with that because I have until the 20th to get it out without paying for another month. I inflated my Aerobed (full size with memory foam topper) and tried to sleep last night. It was very hard sleeping in a new place. My poor kitten was scared because of the new environment, he cried every once in a while. I'm just glad he didn't claw a hole in my Aerobed and send me flying across the room. I figured out what light switches control which outlets so I could plug lamps in. I had to go to big lots last night and get a few LUXURIES.... a shower curtain, towels, pots and pans, a garbage can, and a dish drainer. I also bought a pitcher with a water filter inside, because I didn't know if I should trust the water from the complex or not. The outside light over my apartment isn't working and my thermostat said it was 65 degrees, so I need to call maintenance. I haven't had a chance to have cable and internet turned on yet, so for the first time in my life I didn't have any electronic distractions. I haven't dug down deep enough to get the TV and computer out yet anyway. I almost burned my hamburger helper last night, using a gas stove for the first time. I really hope it doesn't explode. So far what I 've noticed:

The good.

The rent... it's an income restricted property (I'm a 23 y/o college student... must make under 24000 to live there) 479.00 for a 1 bedroom

Bottom floor... I'll excercise at the gym if I want, I don't need to be climbing up and down stairs with arms full of groceries or when I'm running late for class or work.

Windows on 3 sides.... the only side of the appartment that doesn't have a window is the one where the door is. The kitchen sticks out, so there is even a window on that wall. There is a ton of closet space. One as soon as you walk in behind the front door (I'd rather not have that one and have more kitchen counter space though), a pantry between the kitchen and dining area, 2 closets in the dining area, and another huge walk in (bigger than the bathroom!) in the bedroom.

Hot water is very fast!

The best feature... it's MY apartment!

The bad:

No dishwasher, garbage disposal, or washer/drier hook up. The laundry area is right outside my door, which is convenient, unless I am trying to sleep at 3 AM and someone's jeans buttons are smacking the dryer drum. The kitchen sink is a single basin, with no sprayer. I bought a pivoting aerator for the sink so I can direct the spray and change the flow. Cupboard and drawer space is ample for one person, counter space is virtually non-existent.

The carpet is very flat kitchen carpet... I will need some area rugs to cover it up and make it more homey. The bathroom and kitchen tile are the same tile you would find in a grocery store or school. The air condition register and breaker box are in the dining room in plain sight... maybe I can get a picture to cover the breaker box. NO porch at all.

So, I have my apartment now and I am happy. Just wanted to share it with everyone, this is a great forum. I hope I don't have a noisy neighbor, and I know I will never become one. Should I get renters insurance? Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored