Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalredhead18_gw

Bugs

naturalredhead18
17 years ago

Hello,

Here's my problem my apartment i seem to have a lot of problems with bugs and spiders and flys. I've never lived in an apartment or house with such large # of bugs. I mean i find 4or 5 dead flys (or killed by me) a day. Spiders... about 5 mins. ago i just found one about 2 sizes of a quater with just freaks me out! I can't take much more. Is there anything i can have the apartment do or do i have to hire one of those exterminators myself? The window panes aren't sealed well here and are old that may be part of the problem but doesn't seem like all of it.

Thanks,

Erin

Comments (10)

• patti43
    17 years ago

For spiders, I found this stuff called "Spider Fighter" and also one called "Spider Not". They shoot from a distance so you don't have to get too close. Spiders scare me to death.

I don't know about the flies--can't see how they'd be getting in unless they are breeding in the apartment. Get a swatter, I guess.

Does your apartment do regular bug maintenance? I'd sure mention it to them. Maybe caulking the windows would help.

I feel your pain--I hate bugs. (I also wish my hair was still naturally red!)

• nfllifer
    17 years ago

Mention it to your landlord. I have 2 buildings that for whatever reason require bug maintenance. The guy sprays 4 times a year on the exterior and it seems to work. Before that there were lots of spiders etc. Weird thing is the identical building right next door has no problems. Its really pretty cheap and it keeps my tenants happy.

• lazy_gardens
    17 years ago

Put weatherstripping on the windows ...

• judi_e
    17 years ago

Patti,

Is Spider Fighter safe to use in a home with pets? I'd love to have something I could use that wouldn't be a danger to my kitties. I bought a can of some spider killer but can't use it inside. It was a real lifesaver to get the ginormous spider on the outside of my screen door though, lol. But I'd like to have something I could use inside too.

• patti43
    17 years ago

judi e, we don't have pets and the Spider Fighter is in FL and we're at our mountain place. I would tend to think it wouldn't be good around pets because it leaves a film that will kill the spiders if they get into even the dried spray. I'll look next week when we get home.

• kathyg_in_mi
    17 years ago

I have Spider Fighter and love it. I sprayed it around my basement windows and no more spiders making webs there!
    I don't have any pets, but I do have asthma and it hasn't bothered me.
    Kathy G in MI

• cranky
    17 years ago

I actually don't mind spiders. I used to live in NYC and if you had spiders there, it usually meant that you didn't have roaches (spiders eat roaches). I no longer live in NYC, but the occasional spider still doesn't bother me, I kind of have a live and let live policy with them. But I'm weird that way.

• Mia_
    17 years ago

I never had any problems with spiders or bugs in condos/apartments until I moved into my current home. I don't know what it is, but I find a spider every day to every other day inside. It creeps me out because I'm scared of spiders. I have had Terminex spray several times beginning this past Spring, around the perimeter of my house and in the basement, but I've had more spiders this year than in years past. I can't stand it anymore. I have brand new windows. I keep a clean house, but the spiders still are here. In the summer, hundreds of baby spiders hatched on my ceiling, and I could not find any spider nest or momma spider. This has happened on my ceiling 3 years in a row, and thank God I was awake when this happened. I can't find the source of where a spider is making its nest. Being clean doesn't stop this problem. I've even sprayed in the house for spiders (I don't have a pet now). I'm at my wit's end.

• coolmama
    17 years ago

take your pets out and flea bomb the place.It will get rid of ALL unwanted pests.
    You could try complaining but where I live they are about as helpful as...well,I wont say it.We have a huge ant problem.They tried to tell me we dont.So,I took pictures of the ants,then they HAD to do something about it.

• edgewaters
    17 years ago

Just remember that, spiders (and also house centipedes) are disturbing but probably won't actually do anything annoying. It's unlikely you'll ever get a bite, they won't get into your food, etc. They are predators of insects that really are annoying. If you have them indoors, they are controlling something (they need to eat, and they wouldn't be there if there was no food). If you get rid of them, you will also get rid of their prey - temporarily. The prey species - the ones that actually might injure you, damage your property, get into your food - will likely return but you have no guarantee that the predators will. You might have an explosion of bedbugs, mites, or even cockroaches on your hands.

"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive" - Old English folk saying.