Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lack of quiet enjoyment

Posted by nan47 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 04 at 10:14

Hi, I would like some help with the problem of furance noise.
The furnace is located in the living room with the front of it facing right in the room, it is so loud you can't enjoy watching tv in the room. My question is, is this lack of quiet enjoyment and a reason for breaking a least.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lack of quiet enjoyment

Have you notified the landlord of the problem? Have they refused to fix it?

Furnaces should not be that loud, and there may be a problem with the fan motor.

o

How long have you lived there? First cold spell is my guess.

Notify the landlord asap. He will either thank you for alerting him to a problem or come listen and tell you that is what every furnace sounds like.

If nothing is wrong with the furnace. Laws vary from state to state, but my guess is you would lose if you broke the lease. You knew the furnace was in the living room before you signed the lease.

o

Thanks for your replies, we are talking with the landlord this week......our problem is we didn't see this apt. before we moved in, we looked at the one above it which the furnace was in the front hall......these are all new furnaces they put in this early summer.....not the same ones when we looked at the apts.
It is just hard to beleive they would face the front of the furnace to face right into the living room for you to hear that explosion when it lights.
Thanks again for your input :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here