Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
noise levels less on a third floor?

Posted by wattsfan (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 2:05

Hello,
Question. Moving to an apartment. Three story building.

Move to a 2nd or 3rd floor? Which will have less noise?

Currently, live on the 2nd floor and we hear upstairs neighbors who walk very heavily. And we hear stereos/tvs through our walls (low sound insulation) coming from up and below.

We won't move to a 2nd floor again, but will the 3rd floor be any quieter, aside from not having people upstairs.

These apartments don't share side walls, just ceiling/floors.

I am concerned that if the neighbors below us (2nd and 1st floors) have surroundsound systems, their noise will travek up to our unit. The walls are thin here.

The building where we are at, the walls are like woofers where if you put your ear to the wall, you hear noise and there is a loud echo in this place.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I guess, is the third or highest floor usually the quietest, traditionally or am I just being hopeful.

Thanks!

Watts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: noise levels less on a third floor?

The top floor is the quietest because you don't hear people walking above you, running water, vacuming or anything else.

Depending on the construction of the building you might always here some noise from the downstairs neighbor.

"The building where we are at, the walls are like woofers where if you put your ear to the wall, you hear noise and there is a loud echo in this place."

I would suggest you take the third floor and stop putting your ear to the wall looking for noises you neighbors make.

o
RE: noise levels less on a third floor?

I agree that living on the upper floor is less noisy. But some of us can't do that. I live on the first floor underneath a herd of elephants that like to take daily marches back and forth across the living room. When they first moved in I gave them time to settle in and didn't approach them for a week. I have been upstairs 4 times since and complained to management to no avail. Today was the last straw when a picture fell off the wall and broke. Does anyone have any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here