Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving to my first appartment-

Posted by BerryBlis (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 0:59

Hello,

I'm about to move into my appartment. It's a 2 bedroom and 650 sq. feet. I'm really excited but i'm wondering if it's going to be too small. Do any of you guys live in something this size and how do you find it? It's just me living in there right now but eventually my boyfriend might move in as well.

Got any good tips on maximizing small space?

Thanks!
BerryBlis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving to my first appartment-

Small furniture. Minimize clutter.

Also: make sure you take PICTURES of anything that is dirty or damaged BEFORE you move in. Have a walkthrough with the landlpord and have them sign a checklist of condition. KEEP this paperwork safe, with the lease.

o

2 bedrooms and 650 sq feet will be fine for one person. Maybe even 2 (we had 2 bedrooms and 850 sq feet--a second bathroom, though).

More than 2 people, it'll be a problem.
Here in NYC, we deal w/ tight spaces by building UP.

One thing to remember while getting shelving units together: nearly every shelf unit could use an extra shelf. So try to get shelving units that will let you add one (some will have a form you can use to buy an extra matching shelf).

And one completely unsolicited piece of advice about the boyfriend moving in: Carolyn Hax, the advice columnist for the Washington Post, thinks couples shouldn't live together unless they're engaged. Otherwise, it's too hard to break up, and until you've committed to the idea that you're NOT going to break up if you can help it, moving in together adds difficulties.

o

:) my first apartment was 400...which wouldn't have been so bad in a studio, but the walls made it seem even smaller...

double-duty pieces is a must- the coffee table you can store things in is a godsend, indeed. so is the thing that stands up over the toilet and gives you more storage in the bath!

are you sharing? or can you turn that extra bedroom into an office/walkin closet/whatever room?

and what's the closet/storage/built-in situation? I think the only way I survived that first place was that I had another 100 feet in the basement I could store my trunks in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here