Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet regulations of an apartment complex.

Posted by beebew (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 0:57

Ok I have a question about the carpeting in apartments.

Do they regularly change the carpet out after residents have been living in it for 2 + years?

sparing details, I simply need to know:

1) after such a long period of time, they would replace the carpets in the unit due to furniture indents and normal wear and tear correct?

2) would there be any regulations (health codes) requiring apartment complexes to do this after residents have lived there a certain amount of time and how would I find this out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet regulations of an apartment complex.

Google your state code, for example "Arizona Landlord Tenant law". Some states address carpet cleaning (who pays or is responsible). If replacement is addressed (iffy) that's where you'll find it. (Other than the lease, if it's even addressed there.)

AFA #2 a local or county heath dept could answer that, if they address it. But 2+ yrs under 'normal wear and tear' is not an old carpet by a long shot. Unless it's just been abused and ruined, a good thorough cleaning could renew it.

o
RE: Carpet regulations of an apartment complex.

Some apartments have their own rules about this. Every place I've lived, they've cleaned the carpet before I moved in, but not replaced it. Friends of mine got dinged on their security deposit once because they vacuumed carefully, but didn't rent a steamer and clean the carpet before they moved out--of course, the super never told them they had to do that, either.

Now if the carpet were stained or torn, I'd expect a good landlord to replace it. Dents from furniture--those will usually gradually fade out, or you can google and find several methods of erasing them.

But I still have memories of my very first apartment hunt, where there was a hole about a foot across in the middle of the living room carpeting. "The landlord's going to fix that, isn't he?" I asked. The guy showing me the place looked very startled and said, "No. Why should he?" Needless to say, I didn't rent the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here