Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diydana_gw

u don't know till it's u

diydana
20 years ago

ok ok...all the talk about neighbors.....gee wiz!

Bad ones that is. The guy across the street is driving me nuts. He cranks the Metallica and heavy metal music for hours. I have called the police twice. It is to the point where the neighbors talk about it and one man who is hard of hearing and keeps the a.c. on day and nite can hear it.

It is at night 10pm...11pm...

12pm...and later.

He has been know to do this @ 5am.

My baby cannot sleep with this.

Can I make a citizens arrest?

I am going to send him a letter and not sign it!

He fits the nazi youth profile...I kid you not.

It is soo easy to give advice to others...until it is you with the problem. He does intimidate me.

me chicken you jane.

Comments (12)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Keep calling the cops, every time it happens, and locate the property owner and let them know ... in some cities the property owner can be held liable if they allow a tenant to continue disturbing the peace instead of evicting them.

• Spicey
    20 years ago

Lazygardens is absolutely right. Keep a record of every time it happens as your "proof". Maybe enlist the help of your other neighbors and make a formal complaint. Keep calling the police. Do NOT threaten him. Leave it to the proper authorities. If he threatens you, file a restraining order. You shouldn't have to live like that.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

1) go over there with cookies, introduce yourself, and point out that his stereo has cracked one of the glass panels in your second-story window.

believe it or not- most 'headbangers' are merely slovenly and paranoid- they are unused to being treated as civilized creatures by 'normals'

if he is the least bit reluctant to discuss neighborly behavior-don't jsut call the cops, call his landlord. if he's not YOUR landlord as well- find someone else in that building who will provide you with the contact info.
    I actually borrowed a decibel meter from a musician friend of mine once, to demonstrate just how loud the music was in my apartment (across the hall and down one from a classical pianist exploring the 'synthesizer revolution') but not everyone had a music geek at their beck and call...

but trust me- if you're rude to him, he will be three times as ride back- and if you're not going to stand up and complain to his face ( or get big, strong older dame to) then he will disregard you no matter what.

• Piko_Monkey
    20 years ago

"He fits the nazi youth profile...I kid you not. "

"most 'headbangers' are merely slovenly and paranoid- they are unused to being treated as civilized creatures by 'normals' "

what the f*ck?

• yellowhair
    20 years ago

I agree, find the property owner, threaten to move.

I love that scene in the Erin Brockavich movie where she goes out to the guy revving up his motorcycle in the driveway and chews him out for waking up her sleeping kids.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

Piko...
    you DO understand the difference between a human being who has an affinity for Rob Zombie...and a dirt bag who uses music as one more way to express their general offense at having been born, don't you?

no, I suppose you don't- or you assume that we old ladies don't know what we're talking about...but THIS old lady's poured coffee for David Mustaine, and knows that music lovers invest in things like wireless headphones...

and that trash doesn't care about its neighbors.

• Piko_Monkey
    20 years ago

chinacat sunflower-i was offended by the generalization of your original statement, so thanks for the clarification.
    by the way, im 36 and most kids consider me an old lady as well. its great that you got to meet dave mustaine though, my only brush with musical fame was hanging out with don ho in his dressing room after a show.

uhhh, to keep this on topic.
    i had a next door neighbor who blasted music at all hours and was otherwise a pain the rear. asking him nicely to keep the noise down resulted in obceneties being yelled through the walls and in the middle of the night and cigarettes put out on our windows.
    i found that getting the other residents above him who were also being harrassed to go to management office as well prompted immediate response. the offending neighbors were formally warned and the next time they partied till 1 in the morning blasting bon jovi...yeah, bon jovi...they got the boot.
    theres power in numbers diydana.

• Piko_Monkey
    20 years ago

chinacat sunflower-i was offended by the generalization of your original statement, so thanks for the clarification.
    by the way, im 36 and most kids consider me an old lady as well. its great that you got to meet dave mustaine though, my only brush with musical fame was hanging out with don ho in his dressing room after a show.

uhhh, to keep this on topic.
    i had a next door neighbor who blasted music at all hours and was otherwise a pain the rear. asking him nicely to keep the noise down resulted in obceneties being yelled through the walls and in the middle of the night and cigarettes put out on our windows.
    i found that getting the other residents above him who were also being harrassed to go to management office as well prompted immediate response. the offending neighbors were formally warned and the next time they partied till 1 in the morning blasting bon jovi...yeah, bon jovi...they got the boot.
    theres power in numbers diydana.

• jen288
    20 years ago

This thread put a smile on my otherwise cranky day.

Hey! I'm a headbanger....and I vote!

• diydana
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I loved the Violent Femmes, metallica, Meat Loaf, Anthrax, Jovi, AND Hair bands of the 80's and was a head banger but I never ever offended anyone with my music other than my parents. Ha!
    Guess what... he...crazy man across the street moved! Score one for the good guys.

• susanjn
    20 years ago

So what exactly is a headbanger?

• thecactuslady
    20 years ago

Chinacat ... I agree about going over with the cookies. But it's a no go on the cracked window panes. Why should he care? You gotta tell him it broke your good beer glasses! And all the longnecks too. Yup, that should work. Cyndi

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz