Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarsj_gw

another noisy ceiling

sarsj
18 years ago

My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment. We're at the bottom of a two family house, owner occupied. Since moving in, we've been sleep deprived because of our landlords upstairs. One of the sons (who's in his 30s) of the family upstairs, has his bedroom above ours. He walks incredibly heavy on the floor (pounding and running around) and is walking around his room all hours of the night ('till 4am and then up at 6!). To make matters worse, the ceiling is an older style, with squares similar to styrofoam (?) on it. Every step he takes is followed by a loud squeeking sound. It's horrible! I've lived in apartments for years, but have never experienced anything so loud before. I understand that he's just walking around, but I feel like crying it's so loud! Plus, the family owns the house so I feel like I can't do anything about it. I've tried white noise machine and earplus, but nothing works. Any advice?

Comments (4)

• GammyT
    18 years ago

That 30 year old son might be mentally handicapped and have no concept of noise, or he might just want you out hoping that if a long line of tenants don't stay, his parents will let him have the apartment. I always say talk to the landlord or manager first but in this case. Odds are they know about the noise their son makes and that is why the apartment was vacant.

Your only hope is to check your lease and see what it says about resonable enjoyment then contact a lawyer for advice on how to break the lease.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I think it's possible that they may not actually know about the noise, and I think you ought to tell them about it and ask them to do something.

There may be nothing they can or will do--he's 30; is he going to stop walking heavily, and stop staying up until 4am? Probably not.

Then, you'll be able to say, "I'm sure you'll understand why we'll have to break our lease, because of the "quiet enjoyment" idea."

• jezzadu
    18 years ago

I completely sympathize. I live in a ground floor apartment and I can hear every step the people above me take. I realize it is the nature of the poorly constructed building but when you hear every footstep as a loud clomp, accompanied by creaking floor/ceiling and then hear talking and TV and Music as a booom boom boom (Charlie Brown's teacher sounds) it is enough to drive you to tears and insanity. I have put up with this for six years. I will finally be able to move in January. I plan to find an upstairs apartment or else try to find an affordable house to rent.
    I would like to try those Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones but they are VERY expensive! Plus would make sleeping difficult. Like you, I have been an earplug sleeper for the past five years. I do sympathize. Maybe you could speak to the owners about it and ask them to be considerate. I have had to do this everytime someone new moves in above me. A new tenant moved in last weekend - already her tv is booming thru my walls so today or tomorrow it's back up stairs I go to try and explain this hideous situation.

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

" the family owns the house so I feel like I can't do anything about it."

They are STILL LANDLORDS ... let them know there is a serious noise problem and that your lease said "quiet enjoyment" and you expect some quiet to enjoy.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz