Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlb77

HELP! So so so Much wrong here

DLB77
18 years ago

Ok. I will attempt to make this a very short and to the point but, I can't promise. ;o)

We moved in here 1 year and 6 months ago. When we moved in this place was not at all clean the only thing we could tell was done was the Carpets and the Painting. The manager (who is no longer working here) Told us she was sorry about the carpets she knew they were worn down. We didn't mind it ethier so Life went on. After we moved in I got down on my hands and Knees to do some Detailed Cleaning and Found that it had not been done at all. This apartment we moved into was 100% Not Correctly cleaned other then a Quick wipe down.

As we had already moved in all we could do was bite the bullet and Clean up what they failed to do. Serisouly DISGUSTING.. They didn't even clean under the Fridge plus there was Gum with hair stuck to the heaters(BLEAK!).. So here we are still living here and I am very interested to know what my Rights are as a tentant and what is Actully Considered a Health Hazard. All but one base wall heater has Rust in them (we dont use the ones with rust).

The Kitchen Sink is leaking ever so Slightly its a barly there have to stare at it leak but a leak none the less which the guy came over today to look at and Said well I can't fix what i can't see. I know the sink leaks the Wood when i found it was complety soaked and warped from the leak. i dryed up the wood and I guess I shouldn't of becuase he wont do anything now. Which brings me to my next question Isn't that a Risk of mold?

The carpets like I said wern't in great shape when we moved in and after almost 2 years have gotton Considerably WORSE!!

Can I request they shampoo them or better yet replace them? The carpet is so Worn down in spots that even after shampooing it doesn't puff back up like the rest of the carpet. We have the only Blue Carpet everyone elses Carpet is White or biege and I know for a Fact our carpet is the only one that has not been replaced

I don't know am I being to Picky? Or are these real Concerns I should talk about with the Manager

Any help would be great I haven't been able to find Answers anywhere

Renting in Washington STATE...

Comments (4)

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

i dryed up the wood and I guess I shouldn't of becuase he wont do anything now. Which brings me to my next question Isn't that a Risk of mold?

It's a risk of mold IF it stays damp for a while. If the leak isn't happening, and the area stays dry, there's no risk of mold. If the leak happens again, call him back (and leave the puddle on the floor). **you might post over at the Plumbing forum (see "Other Forums" link at the top of the main page) and see if anyone can suggest any sort of tape or something you could wrap around the outside that would stop the leak.

the BIGGEST issue w/ the leak is that it will damage the cabinet--and has already. You don't want them to be on your case bcs you didn't get it fixed before damage occurred (seems to me thats a tenant's responsibility, to alert management when repairs are needed so management can maintain the value of their property). I might call again, and say, "look, I found damp spots again, and obviously there is a leak ,because of damage. I don't want YOUR STUFF to get further ruined; don't you want to fix it? If you wont' come and just tighten or redo all the connections under the sink, then I want you to sign a waiver that says I'm not responsible for any water damage under the sink."

Rusty radiators won't hurt you; I've never read anything about dangers of inhaling iron--I don't think it creates fumes anyway--feel free to use them. If they look bad, ask management to come and scrape and paint them.

As for the carpet, sure you can ask. But if your rent is lower than in the other units, they may tell you that new carpet will cost you a higher rent. I would just ask them--point out that you're paying the market rate, and your carpets are disgusting; their agent acknowledged this at the beginning (though you accepted those carpets as is, and they may say, that's the contract)

But I don't think any of those things are particular health hazards.

Maybe your best bet is to start looking at other apartments. See what you can get elsewhere for the same money you are spending now. If it's better (even if it's just in better condition), that gives you a bargaining tool. You can either just move when your lease is up, or threaten to do so as a tool to get them to make your place look nice. They'd have to change that carpet for a new tenant anyway, plus they might have some down-time between tenants.

• quirk
    18 years ago

Basically ditto everything TalleySue said.

The time to address the cleanliness of the place was when you moved in, or at least reasonably near move-in as soon as you recognized the problem. A year and a half later, it can reasonably be assumed any dirt is yours, and that any pre-existing dirt was accepted by you on move-in.

Old and worn carpet is not a health hazard. You certainly can ask for replacement but also recognize they are under no obligation to do so. If you are paying shiny new apartment prices for old carpet, you are more likely to get what you want, and if you don't, you can protest with your wallet and move out. If you are paying discount prices, then you are probably stuck with "discount" carpet. Although you still can certainly ask.

Rusty heaters are also not a health hazard. This is a cosmetic thing only. Again, if you are paying a premium, you have a case to have them dealt with; if you are paying less than market, this is probably part of the price you pay for cheap rent. Same thing with the carpet; you can ask, they can say no, you can move out if you don't like it. Or you can ask, and maybe they'll say yes.

The sink is more of a problem. NOT because it is a health hazard (yes, prolonged moisture can lead to mold, which is in theory can be a health hazard, but most of the time is not and usually can be kept at bay by regular cleaning with bleach) but because you need to document that you have notified them of the leak so they can't later claim negligence on your part and try to charge you for any cabinet damage. Continue to pursue this, and if it doesn't get resolved, be sure to pursue it in writing, and, if necessary, by certified mail. Basically, what you want here is a paper trail proving you've done everything necessary to prevent damage to their property.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

You can get that ribbed plastic shelf lining to lay under the sink to keep the water from soaking into the wood, thereby making it easier to clean and preventing any damage they might blame on you.

I've lived in apartments where I would have replaced the radiator covers myself--the rent was cheap enough, and the radiator covers cheap enough, and I intended to stay a while, so it was worth the time and money.

• jennmonkey
    18 years ago

Hey, I think you live in my apartment complex! LOL. I live in Seattle, and just moved into an apt that was pretty gross too. It looked kinda clean until we moved in and actually started opening up cupboards, etc. It was pretty filthy. I just cleaned it myself. I don't think there is much to do except move out.

Sponsored